Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Beautiful Pink & Black Brother >

Beautiful Pink & Black Brother

Beautiful Pink & Black Brother

Old 08-30-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Beautiful Pink & Black Brother

I found this machine on CL which was tucked away in a thrift/trading post type establishment. The electrical cords were bare in places so we couldn't test it to see if it worked. They wanted $35 but the lady said it had been in the store for over 3 months and if I wanted it she would sell it to me for $20. I decided the accessories were worth that even if the machine didn't run. In the accessories there was a bottle of Needle Lube. I have never heard of this so I don't know what a person would do with it. All of the knobs and the needle bar turned freely so I figured I couldn't go wrong with my $20. The machine has a wiring mechanism that I have never seen. I believe this machine is hard wired as opposed to a plug in to the machine electrical unit. The foot pedal is attached to the cabinet with a knee lever that is not removable. This is just an arrangement that I have never seen. There is a dual plug that is attached to the cabinet also for the light cord and the motor cord. Just a weird setup. Anyway, I thought the machine was very pretty and it cleaned up so nicely. I am sure with the help of my OSMG, I can get it running. Here are a few pictures. She is so, so pretty.
Attached Thumbnails pink-brother-accessories-%2420.jpg   machine-back.jpg   showing-dials.jpg   machine-hardwired-light-mechanism.jpg   cords-need-repair.jpg  

came-cabinet.jpg   underneath-wiring.jpg   cam-area.jpg   after-cleaning.jpg   back-after-cleaning.jpg  

Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 AM

Here is my pink and black (actually dark flesh pink and dark grey) Brother Window-Matic, model HA4-B2.
Somehow this one did not get on my inventory list, my bad. Eeeks guess it is time for a full inventory! Maybe I have more sewing machines that I think I have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433091[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails brother-window-matic-ha4-b2-002.jpg  
Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Finally, someone grabbed that machine. I looked at it, but passed because I couldn't test it out, though if they had offered it to me for $20, I too would have taken it. The cabinet was very nice as well.

That wiring/foot pedal arrangement is actually pretty common with the made in Japan machines.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Really pretty machine!!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Lucky me, I have never crossed path with a pink machine, because I wouldn't be able to resist and I already have to many sewing machine! Congrats, it`s a really cute one.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Here is my pink and black (actually dark flesh pink and dark grey) Brother Window-Matic, model HA4-B2.
Somehow this one did not get on my inventory list, my bad. Eeeks guess it is time for a full inventory! Maybe I have more sewing machines that I think I have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433091[/ATTACH]
I guess mine is probably more like the color of yours, flesh pink and dark gray. You machine is very pretty. Is your machine wired like the one I purchased or does it have a plug into the machine cord.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 PM

Blackberry,

During that era, most machines (other than Singer) frequently used a 'terminal block'. With the block the motor and light each had a plug on the wire end and plugged into the appropriate side of the block. A very good system.
And the terminal block is very simple to change out when the wires go bad.
Cathy

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I guess mine is probably more like the color of yours, flesh pink and dark gray. You machine is very pretty. Is your machine wired like the one I purchased or does it have a plug into the machine cord.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Gosh these pink and black/gray machines are so pretty! They sort of remind me of my pink Atlas (which I love) but the darker trim really adds to the look of it.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 AM

I would not have been able to resist either. I have a pink bedroom and a pink Jeep.

Marcia
Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Blackberry,

During that era, most machines (other than Singer) frequently used a 'terminal block'. With the block the motor and light each had a plug on the wire end and plugged into the appropriate side of the block. A very good system.
And the terminal block is very simple to change out when the wires go bad.
Cathy
Cathy, thanks so much for that information. I guess I don't have such a weird set up as I thought. And I am glad to know how easy it is to rewire because this one definitely need to be rewired.