Beautiful Singer 15-110?

Old 12-31-2019, 06:16 AM

Default Beautiful Singer 15-110?

Dear people,

yesterday I got my hands on a german Singer 15-type sewing machine (anyone knows which type exactly? maybe 15-110) and so far everything seems to work nice and tidy.
The only thing that doesn´t do what I would expect from it is the mechanism to disable the feed dog.
Please see pictures below that show the mechanism in both activated and disabled state. Does anyone have experience with this type of mechanism or model?
In one picture i labeled the 3 parts of the mechanism with A, B and C. Should all parts move with the axis they are sitting on when it is in disabled state or should B not be moving at all? The manual doesnt say that this part should be oiled so I guess all should be moving with axis all the time?

Thank you in advance for any input on this beauty of a machine :-).

Hope you all have a happy new year,
best regards from Austria,
Alex
Attached Thumbnails abc.jpg   feedactive.jpg   gesamt1.jpg   feeddisabled2.jpg   feedactive2.jpg  

Old 12-31-2019, 06:52 AM

I don't think that's a model 15 because of the position of the tension disc.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:23 AM

It's not a Singer, it's an Altenburg. Singer is a brand name, as is Altenburg. As far as I know, Singer is the only company to manufacture 15's. After WWII, there were copies of the machine made in Japan, and are referred to as 15 clones. The model 15 was manufactured by Singer for many years. At various times, it was available as a hand crank, a treadle, with a belt driven motor and a direct drive motor. I'm not familiar with all the suffixes for Singer15 models, but the ones I have are 15-91's. They have a direct drive motors that are referred to as "potted motors".

Welcome to the board. We love old sewing machines, saving them, using them and working on them.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 12-31-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 12-31-2019, 08:02 AM

Several German makers copied and borrowed from Singer's 15 pretty early on, Husqvarna and Bernina was among them. I think they started turning up in the early 1900s. Some prewar Japan models are of this derivative too. I guess the main common feature is the oscilating hook and bobbin case at the left end of the machine. The German CB hook machines had feed dog drop and stitch lever with reverse before Singer introduced the same features on their 15 and 201. By 1940 the CB hook models already had decades of develpment and various features added by several makers. My point is really, your Alternburg doesn't necessarily have to be that close to any Singer 15 sub model. There are Singer CB hooks with the top tension dial in front too, not very common, but I have seen them on the web. The CB hook and bobbin case are 15 class, but the machine model is given a different number.

I can't offer much help with the feed dog setting, but before you start interfering with screws and adjustments, I would patientily oil, wiggle, oil, let it seep in over night, oil, wiggle, and see if anything frees up.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by knochenfabrik
Dear people,

yesterday I got my hands on a german Singer 15-type sewing machine (anyone knows which type exactly? maybe 15-110) and so far everything seems to work nice and tidy.
The only thing that doesn´t do what I would expect from it is the mechanism to disable the feed dog.
Please see pictures below that show the mechanism in both activated and disabled state. Does anyone have experience with this type of mechanism or model?
In one picture i labeled the 3 parts of the mechanism with A, B and C. Should all parts move with the axis they are sitting on when it is in disabled state or should B not be moving at all? The manual doesnt say that this part should be oiled so I guess all should be moving with axis all the time?

Thank you in advance for any input on this beauty of a machine :-).

Hope you all have a happy new year,
best regards from Austria,
Alex

Welcome to the board. I am not familiar with this machine. Many similar machines won't drop the feed dogs wen he arm won't move the lever you have going to B. Yours is working there. (YAY) so I would take off the bobbin slide and see if you can lube and clean all around the feed dogs proper and see what is supposed to move that isn't under there. Great pictures. by the way.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:50 AM

This looks like a lot of fun work re-doing this machine. I can't wait to see it finished. YOu can do it of that I am confident.