Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bell Sewing Machine

Bell Sewing Machine

I've been interested in these for a while and I picked one up today. It's in excellent condition with all original attachments, foot control and doo-dads. From what I understand it was sold as a Tailor's kit to travel with and a portable machine for those that needed a free arm(it actually clamps to a table) or a flat bed set up. It's very cute, very cool but would never take the place of one of my other machines. The bobbin is uber small and the bobbin case set up is fiditchy if there's a word:> It makes a nice little stitch, but has it's idiosyncrasies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I picked one of those up about a year ago. It’s cute and I think it’s neat how everything stows into a brief case, but I haven’t bonded with it enough to even try it out. Mine is serial number 0008455, is complete, and the Inspection Tag is dated 1953.

Mine doesn’t look any more well-used than yours does. I wonder if these were actually that handy for their intended use, or were purchased in an effort to add a little glitz to a door-to-door sewing service and weren’t actually able to replace the Tailor’s regular machine?

CD in Oklahoma

"I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Really cool looking!!

Blog Entries
    That's a cute machine.

Banned
    Similar to the Miwa

Similar to the Whaaaa....?

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Blog Entries
    That's a cute machine! Was it meant for young girls just starting to sew? The next step from the toy sewing machine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    Similar to the Whaaaa....?

CD in Oklahoma

sorry MEWA

google "fischer mewa sewing machine"

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Oh how cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! id love one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    That's a cute machine! Was it meant for young girls just starting to sew? The next step from the toy sewing machine.
    It's not a toy machine. It was "supposedly" meant for tailors but who knows for sure? I cleaned and oiled it and I found one nylon gear, the rest metal. Unfortunately, the later models like mine, have a plastic take up lever.

Mine doesn’t look any more well-used than yours does. I wonder if these were actually that handy for their intended use, or were purchased in an effort to add a little glitz to a door-to-door sewing service and weren’t actually able to replace the Tailor’s regular machine?

CD in Oklahoma
    Personally, I think the micro bobbins are a big turn off for real use. I could never piece on it because I'd be changing bobbins my whole life:> And the bobbin case needs to be removed every time and the thread system on it isn't the easiest to master. Even with my small hands!

Bell made other machines, so they must have thought there was a market for the Model M (the ones shown above). I have a Bell 201 that appears to have had considerable use, so they must have made decent machines. I have a note in my database for the 201 that questions if it was made by Messerschmidt in Germany?

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Bell made other machines, so they must have thought there was a market for the Model M (the ones shown above). I have a Bell 201 that appears to have had considerable use, so they must have made decent machines. I have a note in my database for the 201 that questions if it was made by Messerschmidt in Germany?

CD in Oklahoma

Yup, someone local to me had one of those 201's for best offer. One of my first postings when I joined the forum, was of that machine and what should I pay...then someone let me know that we don't do prices here. LOL. I wonder if they stuck with the green color as a marketing tool or? I suspect the 201 would be an easier machine to use...though maybe not to lift!

That is so cool!

I have a nice German Fischer Mewa, complete except for cord and knee lever. The Mewa is about the same size as the Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    sorry MEWA

google "fischer mewa sewing machine"

Here's an amazing sewing machine collector's display. She has a case with a Bell, Fischer Mewa Koma, Zundapp, and Elna all together. http://www.patrickwentzel.com/Patric...34&slideshow=1
    Last edited by Monroe; 01-17-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    Here's an amazing sewing machine collector's display. She has a case with a Bell, Fischer Mewa Koma, Zundapp, and Elna all together. http://www.patrickwentzel.com/Patric...34&slideshow=1
    she got a really nice collection of sewing machines. amazing. i wonder how long (and how much $$$) it took her to get all those machines.

Blog Entries
    Way cool machine!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

KLO
    Blog Entries
    And did you see that quilt behind the counter that was the Periodic Table? Pretty cool! Loved seeing all the different machines. So many unusual ones: size, shape, color, etc. Who knew there were so many different ones made. Thanks for that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post

I have been looking for one of these!! So cute! Thank you for sharing yours!
    Janet Leigh
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

At the VSM museum in Tulsa, OK , USA. Name:  bell and little GE VSM b.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  1.84 MB Bell in the background
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Bell is one of the few still on my list to acquire. Though I've really not been looking very hard for one.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

It's so cute! I've never seen one before so thank you for showing me something new (to me).

Leon, I love your sewing machine room!

edit: Oops... just read that it's a sewing machine museum in Tulsa. Still extremely cool!!!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Bell is one of the few still on my list to acquire. Though I've really not been looking very hard for one.
    Oh, look! I found one for you to bid on! Aren't I such a good helper??? Gra, ndma on the outside, little devil on the inside lol. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/63668524

that is tempting! but it looks like it's missing the insert that goes around the machine when you use the box as a table.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast