Bernina 830

Old 05-02-2022, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by MarineBob View Post
Since the top tension is normally set on (with the foot down) the lever provides for movement of a small pin in the disc assembly when the hold down is lifted. I think that was part of my problem in that the pin would not come out and engage the tension discs all the time each time I lowered the foot. Intermittent problems are the worst. I tiny bit of thin lube and working the pin in and out a few times seemed to help
Another tidbit. While working on some pillows ran into tension problems.....again. Now I think I found a contributing problem that I had had for a long while. Seems the rubber wheel that drives the bobbin winder was slipping. It finally more or less died and I could not wind anything. Now I am thinking all along maybe my bobbin tension was irregular causing all sorts of issues. Bought a 'rebuildable' replacement for $17 that is many decibels quieter. I guess I always thought the noisy winder was normal.......duh. Now it is as quiet as a church mouse and works well! I think my tension problems have been solved.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:51 AM

Glad things are working for you now and thanks for sharing your problem-solving! I sew on a 30+ year Bernina sometimes and that still does a better job than the newer machines we've got on hand. ( Use a lot of donated machines at church)
Old 05-03-2022, 06:46 AM

I subscribe to the idea that most problems have already been solved by someone. Trick is to find the answer so I feel its worthwhile to post what I observe. Hopefully it will save someone some trouble along the way.