Bernina 830 users

Old 05-22-2020, 05:13 AM

Hair dryer can be used to melt old lube out of the way. I just serviced a Huskvarna Viking that was stuck in reverse and the dial for zz would not turn. Heat was my best tool to loosen it up.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Hair dryer can be used to melt old lube out of the way. I just serviced a Huskvarna Viking that was stuck in reverse and the dial for zz would not turn. Heat was my best tool to loosen it up.
nothing really seems stuck on this one. It was spotless inside.

I however brought home a Morse sewing machine tonight and it appears someone used car grease inside it. Any ideas how to clean that out?

in other news I discovered the table that came with that Bernina is made by Roberts manufacturing company in Utah. There’s a stamp on the bottom of it.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brayjj View Post
nothing really seems stuck on this one. It was spotless inside.

in other news I discovered the table that came with that Bernina is made by Roberts manufacturing company in Utah. There’s a stamp on the bottom of it.
Roberts Manufacturing is now Fashion Cabinets of America, and is still making sewing furniture in Utah.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:11 AM

I however brought home a Morse sewing machine tonight and it appears someone used car grease inside it. Any ideas how to clean that out?
I've found that denatured alcohol (fairly expensive from paint store or home depot) or 90% rubbing alcohol from Walmart (cheap) works really well. I use strips of old t-shirts and q-tips dipped in the alcohol to get the yucky gunk out.
bkay

edit: Don't get this on a black finish, it will dissolve it. Be careful on painted finishes as well. It is potent.Use it only on the metal inside parts of the machine. I messed up the finish on a lever on a 401 with it.

Last edited by bkay; 05-23-2020 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 05-24-2020, 04:51 PM

This is what I’m getting for my straight stitch. Would anyone be willing to post photos of theirs? It doesn’t match up to the straightness of the sample that was in the presser foot. It looks a little worse in person than the photos show.

any suggestions?
Based on the picture I will guess the following reasons

1. One of the plastic gear is cracked - The repairs can get expensive
2. A dried oil is making a certain mechanism skip or not moving correctly. Since it is moving sideways, check the linkaged on the needle position.
3. Just needs to be showered with oil and leave it for 24 hours.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:39 PM

Hello there, I have a few bernina records one with the oiling points in red the other unmarked, recently I had difficulty with tension most times I reread the machine, check I have a new needle that matches the fabric I am sewing and then adjusting the tension dial so that it isn't picking up unevenly, that is is it the top or the bottom that is most tight?
I have had to on occasion adjust the bobbin casing tension but only after all else has failed.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:42 PM

I unstuck a bernina record 730 this last week that wasn't zigzag zaging with the hair dryer, and oil method, mine had just been sitting for too many years unused.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

You have found a treasure! One of the last all mechanical machines made in Switzerland! I have been sewing on a Bernina 830 Record since the 1970's, when my first one was a new machine. They are the best!

Everything snaps apart for quick and easy access to everything. No reason not to keep it squeaky clean... I hope this video on oiling will help you:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

These machines are so great that Bernina kept it as their "top of the line" machine for 20 years. It is worth putting money into, if you need to. It's quite the collectable and a delight to sew on.