Bernina model 105 on ebay

Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 PM

I changed my mind. I did just check the ebay listing and at the very least it didn't sell on that go around. It may have sold thru other means but I'm not going to go hunting for the proof. Let Sew Canada provide the proof of the sale and the final price. They're the ones that are actually interested.
Rodney
Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Rodney,

Sew Canada could well have come in and "disagreed" with the comments on the price. But he/she was so out of line I couldn't keep my fingers quiet.

Joe
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM

I'd say, "Boo hiss, SewCanada" , but that would make me as rude as he is. Joe is right.

I doubt that the machine is as special as the seller claimed, anyway, I'd have to see proof verified by the Bernina company.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM

For the sake of fairness, maybe my crack about drugs was out of line, but still, this forum and Ebay are both essentially public places and people are free to make any comments-good or bad, accurate or inaccurate- that they like about what they see. I don't type anything I wouldn't say to someone's face or in a room full of people and I sign what I write.
I do wonder at the vehemence of Sew-Canada's response to my comments. A seller with no buyers, a far lower selling price than was hoped for, or perhaps a remorseful buyer? It seems someone satisfied with the sale would just tell me how wrong I am and laugh all the way to the bank instead of responding with such obvious anger. Maybe they will chime in again with more of the story. If they prove me wrong, it wouldn't be the first time or the last that I've been wrong and I'll publicly admit they were right.
Rodney
Old 02-08-2014, 01:31 PM

All said, it is an absolutely beautiful machine. If I was Bill Gates or Warren Buffett I'd be all over that machine negotiating to get it. After all it's black .
Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 PM

My humble opinion is, let's not respond to this thread anymore; let's just let it die. Lashing out like that was terribly un-cool. That person will -not- be back in any meaningful way (unless s/he changes his/her name). Who cares what his/her motives were; let's let SewCanada skulk away into their own bitterness. Let's not fuel it by giving it the time of day anymore.

Rodney: I send you a BandAid for the mean punch you received.

Okay kids, back onto the playground now, and let's talk about sewing machines!!!! :-)
Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM

It is pretty and it might just be sold, though probably not through Ebay's regular channels.
Even though I would be a better person if I just walked away from this, curiosity and a strong urge to justify my comments when I'm accused of being wrong without proof from my accuser provoked me into picking at this scab even more.
I did find this though if anything it leaves me with more questions than answers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-mode...p2047675.l2557

I can't say for sure what happened with this particular listing because according to Ebay the listing was cancelled as being in error approximately 5 hours after the last revision.
Rodney
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I did find this though if anything it leaves me with more questions than answers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-mode...p2047675.l2557
It looks like he advertised it 24th Jan at 8:28am for $4K ($6.5K buy it now), got no bids by the following day (ended it on 25th), re-listed 1st Feb at 9:54am for $2K and pulled it four minutes later.

He's got four things in "completed listings", all of which are hugely expensive and two are this same sewing machine.
None of them attracted a bid.
Rodney, you can look at it this way: He signed up to QB just to vent his anger at you. Well, you can proudly say you made an impression. How did he know about your comment, though?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:02 AM

I generally don' go out of my way to make people angry, sometimes I manage to anyway. This was one of those times. I wonder how they saw my comments too but it is a public forum. I'm guessing he did a search pertaining to the machine and possibly found this thread, read it and didn't like what I had to say. This forum comes up a lot when trying to research old sewing machines. There's relatively little out there about them on commercial sites. I'm not that great at internet searches, it would be very easy for someone to find more info than I'm able to easily. I'm not too worried about it. I must say I don't believe I negatively affected the outcome of the bidding. People with $4000 to burn on old sewing machines really don't come to me for advice. They tend to make up their own minds about those things.
I belong to a woodworking forum that doesn't allow discussion of active internet ads or appraisals just for reasons like this. There's always someone who gets all bent out of shape if they don't like what they see.
Rodney
Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I wonder how they saw my comments too but it is a public forum. I'm guessing he did a search pertaining to the machine and possibly found this thread, read it and didn't like what I had to say.
Rodney, just out of interest, I did a Google search for "Bernina Model 105" and if you scroll down about 8 results, you come to this thread title and then (weirdly) it's your comments that are listed underneath the title... so it would seem the comments are very public!

I can see it being taken out of context like that - I guess we're all so used to poking a bit of fun at the inexperienced(?) seller going for top $$ on some auction site when most of us are seasoned buyers and sellers of vintage machines and tend to have a good idea of their street value. We're like the pawn shop guys going "Yeah, yeah, I know it's rare and everything but today I can give you $xx" - and mostly people just want the money and don't want the machine hanging around, so that's how the deal gets done

If the story of this Bernina is true, then it's something really unusual and interesting. Unfortunately we're probably the only people who care and it's also true that nobody here's going to drop $4,000 on a machine. So this seller is finding this mob of vintage machine enthusiasts who do not have $4,000... and they're really not really liking the fact that we all KNOW that that seller has absolutely no use for that machine and is really (and probably honestly) just going for gold. It's palpable. It's uncomfortable, even. For this, I can muster some empathy.

Loved looking at the pics though. I'd be very happy if I opened up a dusty old box somewhere and that's what I found. Can't help but wonder though....