Bernina plastic gear question

Old 05-13-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Littlebearquiltingboard View Post
Me too. I would hate for them to break. I wish I could buy a brand new "old" Bernina!

You sort of can. There are mechanical models still being made and sold by Bernina. They're not computerized and the only electronics are in the foot controls like many of the vintage models.

Vintage Bernina machines typically cost more and are harder to find(people don't let them go) and are the most return for your money for resale. I have 9 or 10 vintage Berninas and people are literally begging for me to sell them. I don't get that kind of response with any other brand.

Last edited by Candace; 05-13-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
True, but many of the manufacturers use them or have them in the vintage machines and it's not brain surgery to replace them. As my dad's wife says, "Mais Fica!" More for me!
Candace,
I can replace the gears if and when I need to, but I have gotten to the point I'm tired of working on machines.
I've got sewing projects just sitting from before the e-coli episode last year and I'm itching to get to them. So I tend to use the machines with metal insides when I sew. Less chance of a break down.

As far as there being more for you, well there's virtually none for me in Springfield, so they must all be in your Outer Space.

What current models of Berninas are mechanical? And do you have a link to them? Just curious.

Joe
Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Joe,
They're hard to come by in most areas, so you're not alone. I understand about projects. I'm way over my head with to-dos.

The mechanical series have been around for many years and are any "1000" series machines http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...ssic-Series-us

And there is still the 950 mechanical/industrial being made.
I'm sure all of these have some kind of nylon gears.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 AM

Candace,
I was informed by a dealer recently that the 950 industrial has been discontinued. Sad face. It just happened within the last year...
Not enough of them were selling to manufacture them anymore.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 AM

Candace,

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Most of the problems I have with modern machines is the computerization. Mechanical machines, even those with plastic gears I can handle. But working on computerized machines is over my head. So I stay with mechanicals.

I have one computerized Kenmore right now I brought back to life, { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...d-t218364.html }
the motor was bad, but although it does straight and ZZ stitches OK, the patterns, characters, letters and embroidery are twisted. And I have no idea if it's a mechanical adjustment, or programming. Nor do I know of anyone to ask about it. I have a repair manual print out from the Sears site but it's so bad it's unreadable.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 05-13-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
Candace,
I was informed by a dealer recently that the 950 industrial has been discontinued. Sad face. It just happened within the last year...
Not enough of them were selling to manufacture them anymore.

I think they're still available under the "Tac Sew" label. Maybe not?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Candace,

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Most of the problems I have with modern machines is the computerization. Mechanical machines, even those with plastic gears I can handle. But working on computerized machines is over my head. So I stay with mechanicals.

I have one computerized Kenmore right now I brought back to life, { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...d-t218364.html }
the motor was bad, but although it does straight and ZZ stitches OK, the patterns, characters, letters and embroidery are twisted. And I have no idea if it's a mechanical adjustment, or programming. Nor do I know of anyone to ask about it. I have a repair manual print out from the Sears site but it's so bad it's unreadable.

Joe
This 1000 series is supposed to be a very nice machine. However, I've never worked on one.

I would suspect your Kenmore needs a mechanical adjustment. If the circuit board was out, the machine would have serious malfunction and not turn on reliably , lights wouldn't work, screens would have jibberish etc. Not sewing the embroidery patterns correctly sounds like a correctable adjustment. Maybe something to do with the reverse feeding function.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 AM

Candace,

I've been perusing the info about the Bernina 1008. It looks like my wife's 930. Now I have a question that is probably not really answerable but here goes.
Is this current 1008 model, at the MSRP of $1499.00 worth it? Would it provide the trouble free service that my wife's 930 has?

I know, worth is a subjective thing different for each person. But you seem to know more about Berninas than anyone else I know.

As for my Kenmore computer machine I think it's toast. I updated the other thread from last year after I plugged it in a little while ago.

Joe
Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM

Joe, I've "heard" the 1000 series machines are lovely machines. I think my friend went to the dealer and they were on sale for $1200. I do see them used for sale and can be had in the $400-$600 range. Here's on on ebay that is in my area http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-1008...item1e8b7c5cf5

There are many older 1001-1008 series that are still around and ticking and I don't hear any complaints about them. I do think they're comparable in performance to the 930. Since I've never put a screwdriver to one, I can't comment on what the insides look like compared to the 930 but I would be happy to own one of this series. I do know that these models have been popular for schools and university programs. So, they can take quite a bit of abuse.

My opinion is that this is a machine that wouldn't necessarily need a 5-15 "new" year warranty that I would feel would be a necessity for a computerized Bernina. I would feel comfortable buying a used 1008 and servicing it myself. I think the savings of $100 a year service bill at the local Bernina dealership would eventually pay for the machine in just a few years time. My fancy Bernina costs me $125 a year to service. I can't even crack the top open or it will void the warranty...

Last edited by Candace; 05-13-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:05 PM

Candace,

Thanks a bunch for the insight.

Joe