Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A BIG Thank You To ArchaicArcane! >

A BIG Thank You To ArchaicArcane!

A BIG Thank You To ArchaicArcane!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Default A BIG Thank You To ArchaicArcane!

I bought a 99k in a cabinet last week....& I never saw so much lint packed in & around a bobbin case (& feed dogs) in my life! Some of it was packed so tight it was actually felt! Anyway, I printed the manual & using the instructions in there I TRIED to remove the bobbin case...it would wiggle around but I couldn't get it out. Pulled as much lint as I could get out around the case....tried it again. Still no go! So I cleaned it up as good as I could with the bobbin case in place. But I'm REALLY picky when I'm cleaning up a machine so, I wasn't happy leaving it like that!

I did a search for "cleaning bobbin case Singer 99" & found your blog. With your instructions for removing the case, it came out after just a little wiggling around! Turns out I did get it pretty clean after all but, there was lint under the bobbin case spring that I'd have never gotten out with the case in there. And I feel much better knowing that, for sure, it's clean.

So again, thanks AA for the great instructions!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM

I cleaned the lint out of a machine once and when I thought I was done I looked under there from another angle and low and behold....more lint!! It seemed as if whenever I thought there couldn't be anymore it was only because I wasn't looking hard enough...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Holy cow! You made my day!

Thanks so much for letting me know that what I'm doing is helping people out. It's been quiet on the blog so I keep thinking I'm talking to myself.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 AM

I'm glad that I made your day....'cause you made mine when that bobbin case popped out!

I also found that the "screw that shouldn't be loosened under any circumstances" had been messed with on mine too! I had to loosen it (Oh my!) & adjust things there too. Mine had a broken presser bar spring too. That came yesterday & now it's sewing great!

Gotta refinish the cabinet next....I've refinished 4 cabinets in the last 6 months or so. Every time I finish one I say that I'm never doing THAT again....BUT you know how that is! I keep saying I don't need any more machines too.....

Anyway, thanks again, Pat

Last edited by path49; 10-18-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Yay! Another machine saved from certain.... uhm languish-ment? I'm happy to hear it's running. They seem to be really nice little machines once they're properly tuned up and adjusted. I find it interesting how many of them need that TLC when we first get them. That's by far the most popular post on my blog.

Yeah, I have the same problem with machines. I have 3 cabinets waiting for refinishing, and a whack of machines I'm working through. Cleaning, Adjusting, Oiling.... I almost get no time to sew! I have to leave the house for that.

Right now, my project is repainting a featherweight. Tonight it got stripped right down to just a shell. All the gears and everything have been removed, they needed a lot of care, so I figured what the heck, I'll never have better access than this. Tomorrow, I'm going to get the stripper.

I painted part of a motorcycle a few years ago, so I'll get the paint and set up a paint booth again and paint this one. If I really chicken out, I "know a guy" who might be willing to do it. For me, the most intimidating part is the waterslide decals, because I've never done them before.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 AM

Yes I will add that archaic has been wonderful to me too!!! Together we are tackling fixing my mothers sewing machine! Which I'm sure would be a lot easier in person but the Internet allows for wonderful things! Thank you so much!