Bing Werke

Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Default Bing Werke

This little gem was acquired a couple years ago, but I finally got around to cleaning and trying it out. Once determining that the thread must come off the spool on the operator's side, it stitches nice, neat little chain stitches. The Singer 20 method of ending a seam works well. No manual, box, etc. but in really nice condition.

Next up is a little green Ernst Plank machine......taken to pieces for a complete overhaul. The stitch-forming mechanism is very different from the loopers on many toys. It doesn't look broken, but can't be sure.

Both makers specialized in fancy toy trains, steam engine toys, magic lanterns and the like from about the 1880s to between WWI and WWII. Sewing toys seem to be their only venture into what were then the acceptable interests of little girls.

Dianne

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512246[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]512247[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails resized-bing.jpg   dscf1110-resize.jpg  
Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 AM

Cute! I see a lot of really adorable toy machines in the antique malls around here. DH bought one for me as a birthday present last year but I can't get it to sew. That's OK, it looks cute in my sewing room and that's all I really want it for. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure out its problem; I have too many full-size machines with "issues" to deal with first!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM

Cute little thing! It looks like you had a fair amount of rust to deal with on that one.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:10 PM

The Bing (top) wasn't in bad shape. The rusty view is the second one I'm working on. The painted parts are actually green under the grime. Nothing touches that except TR-3, and must be careful not to go clear through the paint. Evaporust is working on what used to be the shiny parts, to be followed by 'super eraser' or steel wool, dremel brush....eventually brass polish. I can only hope to make it presentable, and get it back together again!

Dianne