bobbin tension problem

Old 10-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Default bobbin tension problem

I just picked up a Morse 4300 sewing machine. It had not been used for years. I got it cleaned up and oiled so all is moving freely. I cannot seem to get the bobbin tension correct. I adjust and adjust and it seems to make no difference. Is it possibly the bobbin case that is a problem? Any suggestions are welcome. I have a few days to take the machine back, but I really would like to keep it. This is my first adventure with an old machine like this. Thanks for any help. The top tension looks beautiful.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
The top tension looks beautiful.
Do you mean that the top thread stitching looks beautiful?

Do you have a manual for this machine? Pull the spool and the bobbin out. Replace bobbin with one color of thread. Place a contrasting thread on the spoolpin. Thread the needle. Stitch a few inches and inspect line of stitches. The thread that shows on top is controlled by the bobbin. Bottom thread tension is controlled by the top tension. Have you thoroughly cleaned the bobbin case? Loosen the tiny screw on the case by two turns, then try a few stitches. Begin tightening the bobbin case screw in tiny increments, each time double checking the amount of tension on the thread by handling the case and filled bobbin similar to a yo-yo, but do not be too energetic with it or you'll be slinging it across the room.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:42 PM

thanks - I got it pretty good now I think. One of those things that you keep tinkering and it's fixed - but don't know exactly why. The manual I have is very hard to see - I think I may have made a top threading error. Moving on - can't get it to zigzag - like it's stuck on blind stitch. Any idea on that one, or should I just go ahead and start a new topic. Right now I'm just running it pedal to the medal to see if it will magically just start working right.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:07 PM

Glad it is stitching well now. Those zig zag machines have a lot of places to oil and sometimes have dried oil that needs to be removed or softened with fresh oil. Many machines have a slide on top that tends to get gummed up. Also the needle bar sometimes gets gummed up and doesn't stitch the wide zig zag. Maybe take the top off and see what moves when you change the levers. There is a picture and some good information of a machine without the top on. It shows the slide to the right of the center large circle with notched edge. If it is actually stitching a blind stitch properly, it sounds like it should zig zag if the settings/dials/levers are right. The manual should tell you what to move to make the different stitches.

Don't know if it will help with the threading, but the threading directions can be found at http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_Diagram.htm

If you have a scanner, maybe you could scan the manual. That way you can zoom in on the area that is difficult to read.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-01-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:21 PM

Got everything loose and it's now working great. The only thing now is that the bobbin winder - like a rubber donut - has possibly shrunk just a little and does not make good contact. We solved it, at least temporarily, with a piece of electrical tape carefully applied. Now I just need to figure out what to do with this treasure!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Bobbin winder tires can be found at any sewing store or online.

Cari