Bobbin Winder

Old 11-12-2023, 10:37 AM

Default Bobbin Winder

I recently asked about a recommendation for a stand alone bobbin winder. I ordered, and received, a Simplicity Sidewinder. After examining it, the thought struck me, maybe I could make one of these. The picture is my first version. Preliminary testing is promising. It's not quite as nice looking, or compact, as the Sidewinder, but that's OK.

The bobbin spindle has a tension spring, no small post for notched bobbins, but it seems to work with 66 and 15 bobbins. And I need to plug it in to a power block to use it.
Attached Thumbnails bobbin-winder.jpg  
Old 11-12-2023, 11:37 AM

Neat! I like it. Good for you. That is great!
Now could you figure out a universal long shuttle bobbin winder ? LOL
Old 11-12-2023, 12:40 PM

Universal?? Hmm I'll see if I have a loose long shuttle winder anywhere. It will help if you don't mind using your finger to move the thread back and forth along the length of the bobbin.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:22 PM

Janey, I looked for but do not have a loose vibrating shuttle bobbin winder, so this will have to remain a dream.
Old 11-16-2023, 04:39 PM

I love it! I have dreams of making one someday. I have everything, just need the time.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:10 AM

This took about 30min once I had the parts figured out. I could have sanded the wood, rounded the corners, and painted or stained everything, but that would have added an hour or two.

If I was doing it over (or when I make the next one) I would mount the motor and winder as far back as possible, maybe have a deeper platform, to allow more of a V shape from the spool of thread through a thread guide through the tensioner and then to the bobbin, as on the store bought winder.