Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bought an old Kenmore that can only sew in reverse !!! >

Bought an old Kenmore that can only sew in reverse !!!

Bought an old Kenmore that can only sew in reverse !!!

Old 06-23-2019, 06:53 PM

Default Bought an old Kenmore that can only sew in reverse !!!

Now why would I do that? It was made in the early 70's. I bought it in a thrift store and talked them into selling it to me for $3.00 as I didn't know if it worked and was missing the foot control/AC adaptor. i was able to locate the foot control/ac adaptor on Ebay $27, and a copy of original manual for $6.00. So $36.00 total for machine. Well it worked, but unfortunately can only sew in reverse. The Reverse lever is there. It just doen't engage, or I should say disengage I guess.

Never took a machine apart. Would all be new to me, and I would have no parts to install anyway. The machine is not one of those special oldie but goodies coveted by some, but it does sew nicely, albet backwards. '

Has anyone ever had an older machine with this malady, that was able to fix it? Would not be worth spending more money on it taking it to a sewing machine shop. Just was wondering if it might be worth my time to take it apart to see what's going on.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 PM

I had a Kenmore that I was trying to use in a storm situation....something got zapped in it when the power went on and off a few times and I didn't unplug it. It would only sew in reverse after that. I did not try to get it repaired.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:46 AM

I have had that happen, actually 2 different machines, a Morse and the Kenmore, after a "friend" used them, I took them to my machine guy and fixed them. I don't remember what he said was the problem, but they're both great machines, and work horses, so to me, they were worth the repair.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:41 AM

I used to have a Kenmore 10. Love that machine, but the I lost it. After 2 years of searching for one I found one. Got for 18.00. Problem? Top stitches are fine, but I constantly have to adjust the bottom stitches. I do plan to taking for service after my beloved Bernina is taken care of. Did you know that the first machines sewed backwards? Turn it around! I know it does seem way to expensive to have a machine serviced, compared to the price you paid. Think of the years of use you will get. My is for hauling to sew-ins at guild. It will always in the tote, ready to go.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 AM

A picture of it may give us a bit of a clue. Have you tanken the top off and oiled everything that moves?
Old 06-24-2019, 08:02 AM

A model number off the data plate under the front edge of the bed would also be helpful. The medel number will start with a 158.xxxxx or a 148.xxxx. It probably just needs a good cleaning and lubrication with sewing machine oil.

John Thomas in NC
Old 06-24-2019, 09:44 AM

I thought the same thing as sylviasmom. Sew with it turned backwards as long as you can adjust to it.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 AM

When we do our HC demos, we get really good at operating the machines backwards..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]614189[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails rita-iris-jc-cwf-backs-b.jpg  
Old 06-24-2019, 11:25 AM

I had a machine with that same issue once. (Not a Kenmore). Someone had rewired the foot pedal backwards. It was a bit odd....driving backwards like that.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:04 PM

Must hae been a DC machine.