Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
BSM Hand Crank sewing machine - several pictures >

BSM Hand Crank sewing machine - several pictures

BSM Hand Crank sewing machine - several pictures

Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 AM

I would love to have a hand-crank to add to my collection of big machines. Would be fun to try! Is it in my neighborhood?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Muv

Hello Dawn,

The machine would be worth the money provided the rear slide plate weren't missing. I had a dickens of a job getting a rear slide plate for my Vickers Modele de Luxe, which is like the one shown on the Sewmuse link, so I expect you will have a harder job in the States. A Singer plate will not fit. Also, with Vickers machines you will find that Singer feet are not compatible, so you will be limited to the feet that come with the machine. However, because they are based on German designs (Frister and Rossmann VS in particular) you have the added bonus of reverse, which Singer never got round to doing on a VS.

Here is a link to a thread Miriam started giving links to my Youtube channel, which will give you all the information you need for using long bobbin machines.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html

Long bobbin machines make an excellent stitch. Singer manufactured them until the 1960s - they would have stopped long before that if they weren't any good. You can do just about everything on them except free motion quilting.

I learnt to sew on my mum's 28K (now a Youtube star) and still use long bobbin machines regularly. I consider round bobbins modern.

Even if you don't get this BSM, don't hesitate to buy a decent long bobbin machine. You will have hours of fun with it.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM

ppquilter - No, quite a ways from you. This one is in Texas! Unless you feel like a really long road trip.

Muv - thank you so much for the information! I am glad to know that Singer parts won't work. Because I had it in my mind that I would simply be able to replace that back plate on the bobbin with a Singer one. I also thought Singer low shank feet would work. So again - very good to know that this won't work. There were maybe a couple of extra feet with the machine. Strange looking feet - so probably not feet I would use. Have watched some of your youtube videos as well - very helpful. :-)
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM

I would not hesitate to buy it. What a great machine! But then, I collect anything that looks even remotely like a sewing machine! LOL