Bubbling on Singer 301

Old 08-05-2021, 04:27 AM
LDC

Default Bubbling on Singer 301

I am looking at purchasing a Singer 301. The owner described an area on the bed like something got spilled on it. Before I purchase this machine, can this area be corrected or improved without repainting?

[img]blob:https://www.quiltingboard.com/a386e098-ce69-4a90-8ef7-4799a636c0e3[/img]

Old 08-05-2021, 05:14 AM

Welcome, LDC. Unfortunately your picture didn't show up. Usually this is because the file size is too large.

The finish on the 301s is different from the old black machines. I happened across a site that called spots in the undercoat freckles. https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2017...ing-ready.html says
MANY of the 301s have spotting going on underneath the clear coat. I’ve been told it is due to humidity or moisture, but chances are, if you have a 301, and you live in the south, you’ll see this happening. I call them freckles. It gives each machine its own personality.
Since the picture doesn't show, I don't know if that is what is happening with the machine you are looking at.

Does the machine have a bobbin case? It uses the same as a 221 Featherweight machine. I have heard that the modern replacement bobbin cases aren't very good.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-05-2021 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:47 AM
LDC

Default Bubbling on Singer photo

Yes it has the bobbin case. The current owner actively sews with this machine.

Let me know if you see the photo. Thank you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails 301-bubbles.png  
Old 08-05-2021, 05:52 AM

I can see the pic now. I'm sure that can be corrected if you have some knowledge of painting. On the other hand, if you just want a machine to sew on, its probably won't hurt anything unless it's bad enough to snag the fabric.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:02 AM
LDC

The current owner says it doesn't snag fabric and isn't rough to the touch. My concern is if the area gets worse, how will I correct it? I have read about French Shellac but I don't really know if that will help or hurt the problem.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:08 AM

I haven't redone paint on a sewing machine, but I know about paint on cars. It probably depends on what is causing the bubbling. If it's rust, it will need to be seen to or it will spread. If it was caused my heat exposure, its probably harmless. Here in the "sauna of the south" humidity related problems with paint are common. For me, if the price was right, I'd probably take the chance, but I wouldn't pay a lot of money for it.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:17 AM

Yes, I can see the picture, now.

I don't think the 301 has a shellac finish. I'm thinking that maybe a carnauba wax may help protect from further deterioration.

It would not be rust as the 301 body is cast aluminum. There is something called aluminum rot, but I haven't seen any that looks like that.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-05-2021 at 06:26 AM. Reason: add'l thought
Old 08-05-2021, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Yes, I can see the picture, now.

I don't think the 301 has a shellac finish. I'm thinking that maybe a carnauba wax may help protect from further deterioration.

It would not be rust as the 301 body is cast aluminum. There is something called aluminum rot, but I haven't seen any that looks like that.

Oh, snap. Thanks, Janey. I'd forgotten that the 301 was aluminum. Exposure to heat, like a light bulb laid on the surface can cause that type of bubbling but I don't know.

I do use carnuba wax on my vintage machines especially on the bed to protect them. Which reminds me, its about time to do the machines again.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 08-05-2021 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:58 AM

I was going to point out the potential aluminum issue, but Janey beat me. She is great.