Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can not seem to find correct informaton on this machine >

Can not seem to find correct informaton on this machine

Can not seem to find correct informaton on this machine

Old 03-02-2023, 11:34 PM

Default Can not seem to find correct informaton on this machine

Hi, Hopefully I'm posting in an appropriate area of this forum. My question is "Can anyone identify this machine?" The research I have done is a bit conflicting.... starting out with the serial number which is 68829 located on the underside base on a metal plaque attached to the machine. I'm very familiar with the machine as I did service it when i got it. it's by far the best machine I've ever ran! stiches are flawless, it's just ... sniff sniff.... the most beautifulness machine I've laid fabric on...ha. For real, anything would help! 201k? but those didn't show up till later than the time the serial number suggest it was made. I also have tons of pics when i serviced it.
Attached Thumbnails singlotus.jpg   20221029_194705.jpg   20221029_194659.jpg  
Old 03-03-2023, 07:18 AM

Welcome to Quilting Board. That sure is an anomaly. Generally, Singer machines would have an actual Singer badge and the early German Singer machines would have a serial number that started with a "C".

At first, I thought it was a company that sold machines for Singer. Sometimes distributors would sell machines for well known companies. I bought an Alco that was sold by the Necchi distributor, but was not actually a Necchi machine. However, I did a search and found a thread on another board that gave some rumors about the German Lotus machines. One mentioned the possibility of it being made by Haid & Neu for Singer. So I did some more research and found a Fiddlebase link that says
In 1951 the company Haid & Neu entered into a license and supply agreement with Singer Nähmaschinen Aktiengesellschaft (AG) in Frankfurt.
So my speculation is that it was probably made in the very early 1950s.

I also found this link of a lotus German Singer, which shows an extension that it was probably sold as a treadle. Also many machines that started as a treadle would have a spoked handwheel as yours does. I'm wondering, too, if your machine is a full size machine. Some of the pictures look like it may be a little smaller than a full size machine. At first I thought it might be a Spartan type machine, but those have a drop in bobbin (as does the 201) and the stitch length regulator is different.

So without a lot of documentation with a machine it is a lot of speculation on trying to truly identifying a machine. Even with documentation it can be a problem. I know a lot of manuals from the 1950s do not have a copyright date or actual name of a company on them. Even some that might have a name like Montgomery Wards on the manual, that doesn't mean that is who actually made the machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 03-03-2023, 07:30 AM

Oh, I found a link of an image of a Hyde & Neu that looks very similar to your machine. https://www.suchebiete.com/foto_Alte...,11052128.html

Old 03-04-2023, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Hyde & Neu
OOopss - should be Haid & Neu