Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can someone please help me with model id >

Can someone please help me with model id

Can someone please help me with model id

Old 05-28-2023, 06:59 PM

Default Can someone please help me with model id

I know that this has been asked a thousand times, lol, but... I found a lovely Singer Treadle sewing machine in the back of a garage. I know her serial # is G3023890, so that means she was made in 1914. Can someone please help me with the model? I have some things to replace and I don't know what to look for to fit this machine, lol. Thanks for any help you can give me, I really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails img_20230528_174852917.jpg   img_20230528_175047268.jpg   img_20230528_173826314.jpg  
Old 05-28-2023, 07:16 PM

Here's a link to ISMACS database for Singer machines with G serial number. G Serial Numbers - Comprehensive Singer Sewing Machine Serial Number Database (ismacs.net)
Old 05-28-2023, 08:09 PM

I have a similar machine and ordered a new belt but I don’t know if it was from Amazon. Amazon does have them though.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:12 PM

The Featherweight Shop has treadle belts too
Old 05-29-2023, 02:53 AM

It has the red eye decals on it so it is a model 66. They take class 15 bobbins and use the 15 x 1 needle system. I have a red eye treadle which was built in 1923. It does stitch beautifully, but it does also take a bit to get used to treadling. I've had the machine for a couple of weeks and am just getting to the point where I am not breaking thread every time.

Shari
Old 05-29-2023, 03:06 AM

Default Thank you

I have not had time to go through everything yet that I found with the machine that was in the drawers. I found an original 1935 book and several attachments and old buttons and all kinds of things. The one thing that I haven't seen is the faceplate that seems to be missing. I might still come across it somewhere else in my late father in law's possessions, that's one thing that I definitely need, lol. I have found SEVERAL antique/vintage sewing machines in his possessions, ones that I have never heard of before. I guarantee that I will have so many more questions, lol. I have even seen another treadle machine cabinet (I don't know if the machine is in it) that I have not been able to get to yet.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:06 AM

Default Please note 66

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
It has the red eye decals on it so it is a model 66. They take class 15 bobbins and use the 15 x 1 needle system. ....
I sure hope you are NOT using class 15 bobbins on Ernestine. The 66 machines use class 66 bobbins. Yes, they do use the 15x1 needles.

There is an excellent picture of 15, 221 & 66 bobbins at Singer 221 metal bobbins

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-29-2023, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Babyoffive View Post
... I found an original 1935 book and several attachments and old buttons and all kinds of things. ...
If you have a 1935 manual for a 66 machine it shows side clamp feet. Your machine looks to have what are called back clamp feet. The back clamp feet are like the ones seen at http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/images/1...tachments2.jpg There are some other images for attachments for the 66-1 machine at http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...ts/Accessories

Originally Posted by Babyoffive View Post
...The one thing that I haven't seen is the faceplate that seems to be missing. ...
I think you are referring to the slide plate that goes over the bobbin. A lot of time they do go missing as they are kind of fiddly to replace correctly. How to replace it is shown in the manual as seen in the lower right corner of this page of the manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...?page=6#manual There are replacement ones available one of which can be found at https://www.amazon.com/KUNPENG-1PCS-...CV5/ref=sr_1_1

As I noted in my previous post, this machine will use class 66 bobbins. I have heard that some have had troubles with new bobbins not working correctly on these very old machines. I have lots of old bobbins, so haven't had to purchase any new ones.

I don't know what condition the belt is that is wrapped around the arm of the machine. If you are taking it off and it falls apart, a new one would be needed. If it comes off in one piece and is fairly supple you may want to try some leather conditioner. I looked up a few links about doing that or using something else.
https://www.quiltingroomwithmel.com/...ose-belts.html
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/f...-belts.293241/
https://sewingwithnick.wordpress.com...t-maintenance/

Looking forward to see some more of the machines that you have come across.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:34 AM

I also have found some old puzzle boxes and have almost completed one, I think I am missing the ruffler? I believe that's the only thing missing. I have a lot of old parts, singer and Greist....that I have started cleaning up.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I sure hope you are NOT using class 15 bobbins on Ernestine. The 66 machines use class 66 bobbins. Yes, they do use the 15x1 needles.

There is an excellent picture of 15, 221 & 66 bobbins at Singer 221 metal bobbins

Oops. You are correct. I have the class 66 bobbins since both Mabel and Ernestine use them. My brother takes the class 15. I must have not had enough coffee this morning when I answered. I did read that the newer plastic bobbins don't work well in the older machines, so I purchased some [class 66] metal ones. I have enough now since three came with Ernestine when I purchased her.

Last edited by sschick; 05-29-2023 at 10:03 AM.