Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can you free motion quilt with a singer touch and sew 603 ? >

Can you free motion quilt with a singer touch and sew 603 ?

Can you free motion quilt with a singer touch and sew 603 ?

Old 04-10-2020, 02:38 PM

Default Can you free motion quilt with a singer touch and sew 603 ?

I have a singer touch and sew and I just want to know if I can free motion quilt with it?
Old 04-10-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vanna View Post
I have a singer touch and sew and I just want to know if I can free motion quilt with it?
Wow, a 603! That's the holy grail of T&S machines!
I don't do FMQ yet. I bought a ruler foot for my 401, but haven't learned much yet. I usually just end up using a walking foot.
That said, others say you can FMQ on any machine. The biggest draw back is that the feed dogs won't drop. Several people have asked about FMQ on the 401. No one has ever said it won't work.
I'm not totally familiar with the 603, but if it has the "slow" option like many of the other T&Ss, it would be a big advantage while learning how to FMQ.
bkay
Old 04-11-2020, 03:14 AM

Why is it the holy grail of T&S? Is it the metal gears?
Matt
Old 04-11-2020, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
Why is it the holy grail of T&S? Is it the metal gears?
Matt
Yes. Also, the 600 often has an auto-reel bobbin winder which has it's own difficulties. The 603 has the later bobbin winder. After this model, you will find a few 626(?) that have all metal gears, but not many of them do. I got a chance at a 603 a few years ago at an estate sale, but I had another sewing machine in the car already and felt guilty about buying another. I've not seen one since. They are not very common.
bkay
Old 04-11-2020, 06:50 AM

I gave one away a couple years ago to someone on Freecycle that needed a sewing machine. I was a bit leery about using it as I recalled from school just how often they broke down. this one did not seem to be having any trouble. I was just getting over loaded with machines at the time, not that this has changed much since I still have 13 machines here.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I gave one away a couple years ago to someone on Freecycle that needed a sewing machine. I was a bit leery about using it as I recalled from school just how often they broke down. this one did not seem to be having any trouble. I was just getting over loaded with machines at the time, not that this has changed much since I still have 13 machines here.
I understand. I think I have 12 or 13 myself. I meant to get rid of a bunch of mine last year. I sold some, gave away some and low and behold, bought some more. Who could pass up a 301 in a nice cabinet for $50.00? Have I used it? No! Do I like it? Yes. I suckered in at an auction and bought a 99 in a bentwood case for $35.00. The decals are great. It's a really pretty, but the broken side of the case was turned to the wall. Now, I'm trying to get Leon to take it (like he needs more machines) to assuage my conscience. I have a 201 and 2 15-91s, so really had no use for a 99.
I'm hopeless.
bkay
Old 04-14-2020, 01:01 PM

bkay,
Iris and I were panning a trip your way for earlier this month. Then life changed. She now has a daughter and a granddaughter near you. They both have 99s. 99s. Granddaughter ( 21) only wants to use hand cranks. Love that girl.
Attached Thumbnails lala-anne-sewing-handcrank-crop.jpg