Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can you ID this sewing machine? >

Can you ID this sewing machine?

Can you ID this sewing machine?

Old 11-08-2014, 06:10 PM

Suit yourself, Bro
Old 11-09-2014, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Copying manuals to sell is another one of those hot buttons, obviously. I'm all for looking for a free one if it's available somewhere, but sometimes it's not. Two trains of thought here-

1. There are people who go about it legitimately. Linda Wilkens spends tons of money in legal fees to own the rights to the manuals she sells and she reproduces them in very nice hard copies as well as PDFs.

2. To my way of thinking the manual is one of the most important tools to have for a machine, any kind of machine not just a sewing machine. Especially if it's a machine you're not familiar with. I don't understand why someone wouldn't be willing to pay for a manual to be able to operate and get the most out of a machine, regardless of how much or how little the machine costs. I bought one of my embroidery machines used and if the manual hadn't been with it I would have gladly paid for one if I couldn't find a free one.

Cari
Serious Cari, do you know for a fact shes spent that kind of money for "licenses" to copy material that is 30 to 40 years old? Last I heard the copy write stuff ends after a period of time, same as with music.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
You are obviously more technologically advanced than myself. Beg pardon.

Jon
Jon how bloody hard is it to lift a lid on a printer/scanner, and click a few buttons with your mouse? The software does the majority of the work. The hardest part for the human element is getting the book to sit properly on the screen for scanning. And if a handicapped half lame veteran can do it, anyone can.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:52 AM

Should publishing houses sell there books at cost?---they didn't right it.

Jon
They didn't WRITE it. No, but they did provide the paper and such for it. And most can be bought brand new, less than suggested retail.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:59 AM

My Mother does "find a grave" stuff, and yes, I too am constantly scanning stuff for her that needs fixing up, and yes, those old family documents DO need extra work.. But I found if you have the right software, its really easy, and just takes a few extra minutes to clean up a document or a picture.

The key here is software so that you don't end up having to retouch the entire photo or document to make it viewable.

And yes Champanier, this latest part of this thread is about paying a high price for something that you cannot preview before buying, and takes little effort to make another copy of (the same pdf file). It is not about someone making a few bucks off of honest effort, but 10 bucks for a pdf file is not honest, In my humble opinion.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:22 AM

Here's a fairly quick read re. copyright in the context of US law:

http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/copypol2.html

I'm all for protecting private property, including intellectual property; w/out rights to our own properties, we have no other rights. However, there are solid arguments in favor of distribution of authored materials for educational purposes for the use intended by the materials' author and original intent. As I see it, academic institutions regularly utilize the Fair Use principle, as the purpose is to further distribute within the intellectual market the very materials needed to make any commercial application of such materials viable. In the simplest terms, an archaic machine itself loses its value -- commercial and practical -- when knowledge of its operation ceases to exist. (That is, separating the machine itself in the context of engineering and design and their necessary patents from an authored description of their operation, a necessary condition for the machine's original intent and purpose.)

It would be difficult to define an online group dedicated to vintage sewing machines, their use, operation and maintenance, history, etc. as anything other than an educational endeavor for personal enrichment.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by bumbledor View Post
Jon how bloody hard is it to lift a lid on a printer/scanner, and click a few buttons with your mouse? The software does the majority of the work. The hardest part for the human element is getting the book to sit properly on the screen for scanning. And if a handicapped half lame veteran can do it, anyone can.

"bloody hard"------Your hillarious! Guess I'm a lazy SOB.

Jon
Old 11-09-2014, 06:30 AM

Sort of reminds me I need to scan to PDF a couple of booklets I recently purchased from ebay----Singer 1909 "Interchangable Needle List" and "The Art of NeedleMaking by Bleloch (1886). Sorry, no sharing---too much work

Jon
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM

"bloody hard"------Your hillarious! Guess I'm a lazy SOB.

Jon
Hey, if you say so. But I am a half lame veteran, and if I can do it, anyone can. It really is not that difficult to do. Heck, doing desktop publishing which requires a lot of thinking, originality, and lots of point and click, is much harder to do.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:01 AM

well if I ever come across a Dressmaker 101 booklet, I will make it available to anyone for FREE.