Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can't find info on  this Gerb Nothmann >

Can't find info on this Gerb Nothmann

Can't find info on this Gerb Nothmann

Old 03-14-2023, 02:48 PM
DLR

Default Can't find info on this Gerb Nothmann

Another machine I would like help with. It is a Gerb. Nothmann. I really want it, but Im not sure how long I would have to sit on it. Is this something that has a market? Seller is requesting $150...no cover.
Gebr. NothmannGebr. Nothmann
Attached Thumbnails german.jpg   german-1.jpg   german-2.jpg   german-4.jpg  
Old 03-19-2023, 09:38 AM

Are you looking to flip the machine? I've never seen a transverse shuttle in person, only pictures. Try looking up Frister & Rossman Transverse Shuttle sewing machine

This machine looks just like a picture of the F&R I saw.

Generally, a machine is worth what someone is willing to pay, most often they are not worth nearly what people think they are worth (right now on craigslist in my area there is a 15-91 Centennial for $900). Value can also depend on availability of parts and accessories or if the machine has the necessary parts to run. E.g. does this machine have a shuttle? What bobbins does is it take? What needles? Etc.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:56 AM

It's a very pretty machine. If you want it for a decoration, it looks worth it. But if you want to use it, then sit down and test it. Make sure it has the shuttle bobbins (they can be hard to find) and the gears all work. Sewing on a treadle is so much fun. (Plus you feel like you are getting a little exercise at the same time. LOL). Since the lid is missing, maybe try to negotiate the price a bit. Many years ago I was ready to buy a White treadle for $190.00, I went back the next day to buy it and the store was empty. (Thought I had imagined it - so asked the store next door and they said the came in the night and removed all the inventory - it was an antique store and it was full, so everyone was surprised.). Told my grandmother about it, she said, "Why do you want to buy one when I have 2 here at the house." She lived in Kansas, so I took my girls back and I was able to bring one home. I brought the one that had the instruction book - so much fun! When I hand sew a quilt, I use it to put the binding on. I read once that it was still considered hand made if you use a treadle.
Hope it all works out for you.