Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ceci got as new Stitcher! 1924 Singer. >

Ceci got as new Stitcher! 1924 Singer.

Ceci got as new Stitcher! 1924 Singer.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Ceci got as new Stitcher! 1924 Singer.

Hi Group,

Yesterday I was given a 1924 Singer. It has knee bar, and takes rocket-ship-like bobbins (vibrating shuttle). It does not go in reverse.

It has a motor, but the bearings feel a bit crunchy.

It is missing the bobbin and bobbin case.

It appears to be missing part of the tension dial.

It is missing a belt.

It is missing the key to the case.

Turning by hand, the wheel turns nicely, and while the works feel a bit tired, I am sure that with a cleaning an oiling, that will be fine.

I have not seen any rust anywhere.

I believe it had one owner, who is now 97 years old. Her father was a tailor. So, an interesting little history!

I look forward to learning more about how to clean her finish without damaging, etc. I am sure I will have a few questions when I get there, but I must let her remain on my windowsill for a bit longer, as I am currently still tinkering on my Green Girl, 1950's Elna Supermatic. After that, I will get to this Singer. I have not even looked up which model number it is! JA 092994.

Here are two photos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432183[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]432184[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_6224.jpg   img_6223.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 12:38 PM

Are you sure about the letter prefix for the serial number? ISMACS doesn't show a "JA" prefix. They do show a "AJ" prefix though.
Visually it looks like a Singer 128.

Yesterday I was given a 1924 Singer. It has knee bar, and takes rocket-ship-like bobbins (vibrating shuttle). It does not go in reverse.
Your machine predates the reverse feature. No problem though, it's easy enough to back tack with it.

It has a motor, but the bearings feel a bit crunchy.
Hunt up some Singer Motor Lube in the tube if you can. The amber/clear/brown stuff, not the white stuff.
Grease the tubes well, but not excessively. You might need to carefully remove the brushes and clean them, their tubes and the commutator. Some brushes are internal and require the motor to be disassembled.

It is missing the bobbin and bobbin case.
Sew-Classic stocks the bobbins, but I'm not sure where to suggest looking for the shuttle. Perhaps your LSMG.

It appears to be missing part of the tension dial.
Your top tension assembly is complete. The earlier ones did not have the numbered dial.

It is missing a belt.
LSMG or Sew-Classic

It is missing the key to the case.
You can use a small flat blade screwdriver to lock and unlock the case till you scare up a key.

Turning by hand, the wheel turns nicely, and while the works feel a bit tired, I am sure that with a cleaning an oiling, that will be fine.
Don't wait to oil it. Get some Tri-Flow oil and oil it now. Then while your working on the green machine the T-F will be doing it's job cleaning and lubing the Singer.

That's a nice little machine. Love those decals.

Joe
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 AM

I am not certain if I am just dreaming yet, or have the patience to consider more of a restoration than a mere clean-up, but... if I were so inclined, is it possible to buy decals (Vencedora) on order to re-do the worn ones? Or do they just look tacky if they are re-done?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

The worn decals are just part of that machine's history. Talk to Glenn about putting a protective finish on it.
Joe has good instructions - it won't take as long to clean up as an Elna.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Muv

Hello Ceci,

Perhaps it is hiding, but I can't see the tension spring - the little wire hook that should be beside the tension discs. If it is missing you can get one from Treadle Lady http://treadlelady.com/Treadlelady.com/For_Sale.html

If you want to pay a few quid you can get a shuttle from Helen Howes http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/bobbins.html

Why is the needle plate so mucky compared to the front and back slide plates? I hope it cleans up to match.

All in all it is a smart machine and looks as though it should be a good runner.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM

Uh-oh.

I set to cleaning Queenie (the 1924 Singer featured in this thread) today, and it turns out she suffered a major blow to the head at one point, and she has some injuries which I am not sure how to go about deaing with. Her lovely metal plate (Is it called a side plate or a face plate? The plate which is about 2.5" x 5" or so, on the left side of the machine as you are facing it to sew?), right at the top, at the first spot where the thread routing as it comes off the spool, is bent. No big deal; this is fixable, but it gives a clue as to where/how she was dropped (or where something fell atop her). Apparently during the blow, the presser foot shaft was whacked down horribly, for the her presser foot itself it bent to smithereens, and the small round plate has a mighty dent/crack from where the presser foot was whacked into it. And now for the major damage: the presser foot shaft itself is bent, near the top, and also bent is the knurled-knob-screw, which I believe is the presser foot pressure adjustment screw. (It is about 1.5 inches long, and the presser foot shaft goes through it, at the top of the machine.)

So, I doubt very much that one can buy presser foot shafts and knurled knobs at The Store.

Any suggestions? Shall I look for a parts machine? Seek to trade for parts? Make a bedside lamp out of her?

Sigh, sigh, sigh.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM

I should add that the presser foot shaft and knurled knob are now miraculously out of the machine. They are bent at the top, in the top 1.5 or 2 inches of the whole business.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Banned

parts will become available I am sure... These things are all over the place. I love them BTW.

I have a 128 with "Victorian" decals that are a fair but rougher than the one you have, but the machine is currently being obstinate about reliable functioning.... If she does not sort out or if I find the replacement i am looking for, I would part mine out for shipping costs.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if a 185 or a 99 pressure foot shaft will fit that? Anybody know? Of course I haven't looked. It isn't hard to get those apart. Getting it back is harder but doable.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM

You can most likely get a shuttle and bobbins from Cindy Peters at Stitches-in-Time. She's on e-bay or do a web search. She may have your other parts also. I've done business with her and recommend her.

My first thought was also Singer 128, Joe. The decals remind me of the Singer 66 Red Eye.