Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning a nasty vintage machine >

Cleaning a nasty vintage machine

Cleaning a nasty vintage machine

Old 05-12-2016, 04:00 PM

Default Cleaning a nasty vintage machine

I bought a Singer 328 a week or so ago. I posted about it the day I bought it. It is really nasty. It's so nasty I want to take some soap and water to it (degreaser, actually). I thought I heard or read that you use kerosene to clean a machine. I even bought some. When I went back to see how to use the kerosine, it was about decals, which I don't have. I also don't have a shellac coat.

Then, I found this instruction to use a soft rag with sewing machine oil. Somehow, I don't think that's the right approach for this machine, but I'm not sure what the right approach might be to get this gunk off in this lifetime.

I'm looking for some better ideas. I'm almost sure that the grime has nicotine at the bottom of it. It has that smell. I've done nothing so far other than see if it works and take photos. Below is what I'm talking about.

Any ideas are appreciated/.\

b
Attached Thumbnails dsc_029-red1.jpg   dsc_0296-red.jpg   dsc_0297-red.jpg  
Old 05-12-2016, 04:12 PM

start with a good degreaser on the outside as a first step. and go from there. You might need a new tension
Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 PM

How about dusting & vacuuming it first and then use non pumice hand cleaner and cotton balls 2nd. Tension looks complete to me.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 PM

Believe it or not, SMO will take the nicotine off. But you can also use a non-pumice hand cleaner such as goop and a damp cloth to clean it off as well. Disassemble the tension and soak in a dilute solution of dishwashing soap and warm water or more of the non-pumice hand cleaner. Newer machines, well newer than the older japanned or shellac finishes are fairly robust. However do not use alcohol or other solvent as they will melt the finish. Ask me how I know...
Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Banned

When I get a machine that looks like that I start with baby wipes. I get it as clean as I can and then I use TR3 Resin Glaze.

Cari
Old 05-13-2016, 02:11 AM

Kerosene is an iffy one; some machines in it over night, and came out clean and intact the next day; others have stripped off paint, decals or ruined the finish. Be careful with the numbered plates. I don't think any of the beige or tan machines are shellac, paint can take a good cleaning with natural soap (not anything harsh like sugar soap). Like others have mentioned above, sewing machine oil and patience lifts up most dirt and grime. I have turned to those velvety microfiber cloths, with gentle swirly motions they speed up the cleaning quite a bit. Singer used a type of shiny hard lacquer and it cleans up very well, even 60 years later. Followed by a resin based car polish it should shine up like new. Your machine looks like it's in very good condition under all the grime. The 328 is a nice model, let us know how it turns out

Best of luck :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-13-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
When I get a machine that looks like that I start with baby wipes. I get it as clean as I can and then I use TR3 Resin Glaze.

Cari
Cari, I have seen you mention baby wipes before and I haven't tried it yet. I'm guessing that brand doesn't make a difference.

I'm a TR-3 Resin Glaze advocate, also. One does go through a lot of cotton balls using it though.

Wiping the 328 off with a microfiber cloth would be a good first step.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-13-2016 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 AM

I have also used foaming Tuff-stuff on machines with no decals. Unfortunately, my hands are too rough from this work, to use microfiber cloths. I too have used baby wipes to start, but be aware if the dirt is gritty, any use on a large area at once, could scratch the surface.
Agree, TR-3 or car wax to finish.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Cari, I have seen you mention baby wipes before and I haven't tried it yet. I'm guessing that brand doesn't make a difference.

I'm a TR-3 Resin Glaze advocate, also. One does go through a lot of cotton balls using it though.

Wiping the 328 off with a microfiber cloth would be a good first step.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Janey the babies in this family prefer Kirkland from Costco or Huggies in a pinch. I prefer using the Kirkland ones as they're stronger but I use whatever the kids have as I swipe a pack from them when I need some. I've also used Lysol wipes to start the cleaning on a moldy icky machine.

Cari
Old 05-13-2016, 04:11 PM

Please keep us posted about your success.