Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28

Thread: Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

There were only a few decals and I avoided them as much as I could, I made stencils of the decals in paper and then taped over them to protect what I could. It did not turn out too bad, but still had some yellowed places that looked more green than blue. The bed looked nice however. Sometimes you sacrifice a machine to learning, that is why you don't do it on anything but a machine that needs more tlc than you can give it.
    Last edited by Glowygirl2; 12-01-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Glenn, what the heck is Plast Buster, where do we get it and exactly what is it for?
    I know that this is an old thread, but the topic is still very relevant and popular today with vintage sewing machine enthusiasts.

I think that he meant PB Blaster, not Plat Buster.

PB Blaster is probably, IMHO, the pest penetrating oil on the market for loosening rusty bolts/parts.

PB Blaster is available at most auto parts stores, Amazon and even WallyWorld(Walmart).
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-24-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link

Blog Entries
    Yes it is PB Blaster, I just call it Plast Buster and yes the best penetratng oil ever. I could clean old machines without it.
    I get mine at Wal Mart.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Skip...
    could clean
    or couldn't clean?
    Maria
    Smoky Mountains of Tennessee

Blog Entries
    I could not clean old machines without it. Sorry Maria....
    Glenn W. Cleveland

I discovered PB Blaster on this thread and it is now a permanent part of the VSM restoration effort at my house. There are so many resources out there, there is no excuse to let these classic machines go to the dump.

So I found this in my shed yesterday! Surprise lol. Cabinet is pretty much toast but this little cutey runs, needs a belt and a serious spa day but can I fix this shellac? Name:  AC378F24-3AD0-4853-99DC-F25F05AC3F17.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  1.16 MB

Blog Entries
    This has gone into my book marks to be recalled at a moments notice. I don't have that many older machine any more but have restored all but the last one I picked up. It is in fair condition but this will be a great help in getting to 100%. Thank you for a great learning tool.

Blog Entries
    I just finished my sample block. It still needs a bit of squaring up but IMHO looks ok. I decided not to put a circle center on the ones I am making so they will not be confused with ones that were made by an unknown artist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28