Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads >

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Old 01-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Now dip the wrapped finger in shellac and apply a few drops of linseed oil and go over the decals, this will apply shellac over them to protect them. Do this several time because this method only applies a thin coat each time.
This is basically the french polish part.

Glenn also mentions that after you get several coats on that you can start to use a little less oil with the shellac. The 201 I'm working on is getting very shiny finally but after a lot of coats and a few do overs.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
This is basically the french polish part.

Glenn also mentions that after you get several coats on that you can start to use a little less oil with the shellac. The 201 I'm working on is getting very shiny finally but after a lot of coats and a few do overs.
Understanding is more important than anything on this technique. Don't start it unless you do understand.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 PM

And even once you think you understand it, it will take time to get the feel for the chemicals and to recognize what happened if or when something unplanned happens. I'm very glad I started on a machine I didn't care about. I'm less pleased with myself for bonding with said machine during this process because now I feel like I have more invested in it. :-/.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Susanmarie View Post
Hmmm, sorry, I'm just not seeing it. In Post #7 on the first page I see where you referred to French polishing but I don't seen a post on the first page explaining it.
Please cont to read the pages in this thread it will explain the process. Please read thru all the post first to get an understanding what the process is.
Skip
Old 01-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Even after you read it all and have tried it you may not get it right - ask me how I know.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:39 AM

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. I'm continuing to read.....
Old 01-11-2015, 10:45 AM

I've read 33 pages of this thread. I did find a place where the French polish is defined: Post #110.

I certainly have learned a lot by reading the posts but I've also read some posts that contain additional steps or contradicting information and it's starting to confuse me.

I have read both that there is a waiting period after using the Naptha, but I have also read a Post somewhere that one doesn't have to wait after using the Naptha.

I thought I understood the order of steps from the Glenn's first posts but then I read in later posts that there is a step involving denatured alcohol and shellac. I don't understand what situations should an alcohol/shellac step be used.

As I understand there is a step using denatured alcohol with a drop or two of linseed oil to soften the original shellac, then painting touch ups, then the French polishing with shellac and a drop or two of linseed oil. Not sure where/why the alcohol/shellac step comes into play.

Can someone describe when there should be a waiting period?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Ignore that one, it was a mistake.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:20 PM

I received my aniline black dye yesterday.....I had to order it online. I'm ready to get started sprucing up the Red Eye 66 I posted earlier. But I think I will practice a bit. Sounds like a good idea. I have a Singer 9W (Wilson and Wheeler previously) that needs TLC, I think this is it's time.

I'm so glad there is support for this process. I'm having fun. So far!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Thank you for the great information. I think I will have to wait until summer to do this as it is snowing and 30 degrees out now.Maybe May will be more like it. I just inherited a trainwreck Singer treadle I believe it's a 1919, the Model number is G6981522
Thanks again,
Dawn 227 in Chilly Rochester NY