Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
common cause of "dropped" stitches >

common cause of "dropped" stitches

common cause of "dropped" stitches

Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 PM

Default common cause of "dropped" stitches

Finally got some cams for my singer 306 treadle machine and have been playing with the various stitches. I seem to have a problem with it every few inches skipping a stitch. It apears as though it is not catching the bobbin thread. Have not spent a lot of time on it yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience, or tips.

Thanks
Dan.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Check the hook to needle placement and timing. Is the needle new? Is it in correctly? Is it a 206 X 13 needle that this model uses?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Muv

It could just be that the needle is slightly blunt. Change it for a new one and see what happens.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the tips, fresh Sharp (correct) needle, adjusted the hook to needle clearance and the hook timing, checked the needle bar height, and it is better, solid up to a stitch width of about 3 (out of 5) after that it skips on the right needle position. Think it is time to check the "pendulum swing centering" settings. It might be that it is not centered and the needle shifts farther one way than the other. If I change it I will have to alter my previous timing settings, but I do so want it to be just right and working correctly.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t182255.html
Since it is a 306 it could be the wrong needle or someone might have tried to time it to work with a more modern needle. There is some discussion on that on various places on the net - some info on here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t162425.html you might also need to clean up any dried oil on the tension area ask me why I know that...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Thanks for the tips, fresh Sharp (correct) needle, adjusted the hook to needle clearance and the hook timing, checked the needle bar height, and it is better, solid up to a stitch width of about 3 (out of 5) after that it skips on the right needle position. Think it is time to check the "pendulum swing centering" settings. It might be that it is not centered and the needle shifts farther one way than the other. If I change it I will have to alter my previous timing settings, but I do so want it to be just right and working correctly.
You might want to follow your own advice here.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM

TaDa!
Run through all of the manual procedures, use a Good light, and don't be tempted by "close enough"

You will be rewarded with a machine that makes a nice even stitch, properly tensioned at all lengths and widths, and does not "drop" any.

Pretty proud of my old 306w.
Might have to use if for something now.