Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
converting to a free arm table >

converting to a free arm table

converting to a free arm table

Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 AM

Default converting to a free arm table

I just picked up a nice old sewing table. One drawer is stuck closed and has no bottom, but it's old enough to be real wood, so it should be easily fixable, and the finish is in great shape. It's probably a mahogany finish (or something reddish like that), and has cool brass-capped retro legs. It's fairly small, which is why I picked it up.

ThingOne's GF, who lives with us, has gotten into sewing and has colonized a corner of my sewing room. I found her a machine several month ago (a nice old free-arm Riccar). I don't mind sharing my space or my stuff--St Anne knows I've got more than enough!--but it would be easier on both of us if she could have her own space, (and she's starting to gather her own stuff, too) and I think this little table might be the beginnings of it. I know she can use it with the leaf closed, but it would be nice if it could be converted so it's usable with the leaf open.

It had a drop-down machine in it at some point-the hinges are still there. My question is, is it possible to convert it to a table that can be used with a non-hinged free-arm machine? If so, how? Anybody know of a tutorial, or an I-did-it-like-this?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM

I would just build a shelf underneath, to allow the machine to sit flush with the table top. Then I would make a "lid" for the hole, allowing the machine to sit on top, for free-arm.