Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
On Craigslist, what do you think? >

On Craigslist, what do you think?

On Craigslist, what do you think?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 AM

Default On Craigslist, what do you think?

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/bar/2995025800.html

My first thoughts are that they have no idea what they have. It's old, therefore it's worth a lot, right?! So I looked it up and I'm pretty sure that it's a 66-16 but I'm wondering about that stitch length plate. It looks like it's right on top of the ?brass? metal badge. Google isn't showing me any other machines that are like that.

Here's the ad, in case it's taken down (because I'm sure it won't last! <--sarcasm)

I HAVE THIS SEWING MACHINE, IT'S IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, WOULD LIKE TO TRADE IT FOR EITHER, ALOT OF MOVIES, RIDING MOWER GOT TO BE IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, OR A WRINGER WASHER AND TUBS,, JUST LET ME KNOW WHAT U GOT AND I'LL GET BACK TO U... THANKS AND GOD BLESS
Attached Thumbnails 66.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:04 AM

Whoever gets the wringer washer (as long as it comes with tubs) would be getting the better deal on this one in my opinion. Of course, a ridiing lawn mower in good working order would be great to have too!

I am interested in hearing opinions on that stitch regular though.

Dayle
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 AM

My guess would be that it was retrofitted with a stitch length regulator at some point. Looks like an earlier 66 model because of the badge placement and type of bobbin winder. I also wouldn't be surprised if the tensioner had been changed out since it looks newer too. Probably was a well used machine!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

The cabinet looks like a desk type - with the drawers on the side - that would make me guess that it's 'newer' - mid to late 1960s??
Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM

my guess would be that that is one of the "retro fit" back tack/reverse units. I have never seen one but heard that they exist ( not singer)
Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
....I'm pretty sure that it's a 66-16 but I'm wondering about that stitch length plate. ....
Hi Ashley,

It’s not a 66-16. It’s an earlier model 66, with what looks like a Revco Lever Type 303 Reverse Attachment on it. They were available as an aftermarket upgrade for Singer 66, 27, 127, & 128 machines, and sold for around $8 back in the 1950s.

The numbered upper tension control was probably an upgrade too, possibly at the same time that the reverse, disc-type hand wheel, motor, and light were added.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Hi Ashley,

It’s not a 66-16. It’s an earlier model 66, with what looks like a Revco Lever Type 303 Reverse Attachment on it. They were available as an aftermarket upgrade for Singer 66, 27, 127, & 128 machines, and sold for around $8 back in the 1950s.

The numbered upper tension control was probably an upgrade too, possibly at the same time that the reverse, disc-type hand wheel, motor, and light were added.

CD in Oklahoma
So it's definitely a "utilitarian" sewing machine, not an "antique show piece"? Is it "worth" anything? For the record, I'm not looking to purchase it for myself, I just wanted to get a good education about something I found.

Thank you for the information.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 AM

I believe CD is correct on this one. Value depends a lot on location, but around here (central NY) I doubt it would sell at all and if it did, likely would bring less than $25. It's pretty worn. Some folks think all old black sewing machines are antiques and thus valuable......it's just not true.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
I believe CD is correct on this one. Value depends a lot on location, but around here (central NY) I doubt it would sell at all and if it did, likely would bring less than $25. It's pretty worn. Some folks think all old black sewing machines are antiques and thus valuable......it's just not true.
For some reason, I was thinking $20. I don't know where I got that number from, I thought, "That's worth about $20". I need help pricing a machine I want to sell. It's old and black lol
Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I had a wringer washer and used it alot - in the 60s thru early 70s, I hated using it. It washed very well but was a pain to empty. My Mom only had wringers. A riding lawn mower in good working order would be worth more than if this machine was brand new.