Crown Sewing Machines

Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Default Crown Sewing Machines

A friend of ours has a "Crown" Sewing Machine from around 1956. I've tried to Google it. I have seen the machine. It states model 770. Will try to get more information tomorrow. She says when she plugs it in the wrong way it takes off like a jet. When she plugs in it the right way it doesn't work. LOL! Sew I'm guessing obviously she's confused. I believe it may have an on'/off button. Will see tomorrow. Any information you can give be will be greatly appreciated. I know this is where I'll get an answer. Thanks. I also know her idea of cleaning is a damp rag wiped down. I did tell her to get her manual and slow down the speed.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Forgot. I don't believe it's a on/off button. Has a foot pedal and she just has a heavy foot. Wears orthopedic shoes.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:15 PM

some older models have a "outlet" with the foot pedal. One is for the motor and one for the light. If you plug the motor in the light outlet, it was full power all the time - takes off like a jet. If you plug it into the motor outlet, it only works with the foot pedal. However if the foot pedal is bad, then the motor won't get power, so it won't go at all.

Sounds like her motor is fine, and her pedal is shot.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Switched the plugs and they both work fine now. Still have found nothing on Crown sewing machines made in Japan.
Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
some older models have a "outlet" with the foot pedal. One is for the motor and one for the light. If you plug the motor in the light outlet, it was full power all the time - takes off like a jet. If you plug it into the motor outlet, it only works with the foot pedal. However if the foot pedal is bad, then the motor won't get power, so it won't go at all.

Sounds like her motor is fine, and her pedal is shot.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Most machines made in Japan were badged - nobody wanted to buy stuff made in Japan after WWII...