Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Damascus Grand 1917 perfect! Value? >

Damascus Grand 1917 perfect! Value?

Damascus Grand 1917 perfect! Value?

Old 01-23-2024, 04:55 PM

Default Damascus Grand 1917 perfect! Value?

Could anyone please tell me the value of this item so I do not get taken advantage of or that nobody is paying too much for this item I would like to go to a nice home I just am not sure if the value of this Damascus Grant from 1917 has the receipt all the parts and pieces and the original box and original cabinet and it is beautiful any ideas on value
Old 01-23-2024, 07:13 PM

I'm guessing you're talking about a sewing machine?

Your best bet is to look on ebay, craigslist, etc and see what other Damascus Grant or similar machines in a similar condition are being sold for.

I will say, however, that things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. My MIL gave me some framed artwork several years ago, told me what she paid for it 30 years ago and that I should sell it for double that. I was scratching my head wondering why *she* doesn't sell it, she needs the money more than we do. I tried to sell it and got no takers. Had it appraised for insurance, paid more for the appraisal than the art was worth.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about a sewing machine?

Your best bet is to look on ebay, craigslist, etc and see what other Damascus Grant or similar machines in a similar condition are being sold for.

I will say, however, that things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. My MIL gave me some framed artwork several years ago, told me what she paid for it 30 years ago and that I should sell it for double that. I was scratching my head wondering why *she* doesn't sell it, she needs the money more than we do. I tried to sell it and got no takers. Had it appraised for insurance, paid more for the appraisal than the art was worth.
I agree with this ^^^^^ Be sure you check the sold listing and not just what they are listed for.

Sadly, as tastes change a lot of things that were popular and sold for a lot at the time, are not worth as much today. Good luck with your machine.