Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Darning Foot for a Kenmore 117-959 >

Darning Foot for a Kenmore 117-959

Darning Foot for a Kenmore 117-959

Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM

Default Darning Foot for a Kenmore 117-959

This is my second time to post. I have my grandmother's Kenmore 117-959. It is in great condition (the cabinet, not so much), save for the rigged motor pulley tire (someone fixed it a long time ago with a bobbin tire - I've ordered the correct part). The presser bar was frozen, but I was able to use penetrating oil and patience and get it moving again.

Once I get the little maintenance things done, I plan to use this machine for making quilts.

I've ordered about several sets of Greist attachments from ebay - I've wound up with one set that fits, one set that has the smaller top clamp notch, and one set that is a mixture of both sizes of top clamp notches. I think I might have a good representation of a set based on all of these pieces.

My grandmother's buttonholer was not a top clamping buttonholer. I know she used this because I witnessed its use on many occasions. My mother also used it. I am confused by this because it is not a top clamp attaching thing, it is a side clamping screw thing.

Anyway, my question: I am looking for a darning/FMQ/embroidery foot. So far, I cannot seem to find one. The quilting attaching with the Greist set appears to be really good for quilting that is not FMQ. The only FMQ feet I can find are side attaching. Does anyone know of a foot good for the purpose of FMQ that will fit on this machine? Would a low shank side clamping foot fit, perhaps there is an adapter? I've searched the forum and google and everywhere else and I just can't find anything other than someone suggesting I change the presser bar to a side clamping presser bar. I'm not sure that is possible, but if it were, I could do, but why.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Is this a rotary model? I've never heard of anyone being successful in FMQing on a rotary machine. I've tried springs and a bunch of different feet and finally gave away the rotary I had. If I can't use a machine for FMQing it's typically out the door...
Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM

how do I know if my machine's a rotary? are singers rotary? I know some have said they fmq on the 15-91 and quilt on the 201 but is the 66 a rotary? and why cant you fmq on a rotary? (I haven't tried it yet but am gearing up to give it a try soon so wanting to prevent any surprises LOL!)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 PM

The old rotary machines have side clamping feet, that's the main issue. I've not found a good foot that does decent FMQing on the side clamping machines.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:14 PM

This thread has me confused. "side clamping" feet are basically like the low shank feet.... right?

The Kenmore 117- 959 is a rotary hook machine. Rotary means the bobbin hook rotates, oscillating means the hook turns half way forward then backs up then repeats very fast.

Singer 15-91s are oscillating hook machines with a feed dog drop system. That's whey they FMQ.

As for the darning foot, I don't know of any made for the top clamp feet and that is what the Kenmore 117-959 is. The feet attach with a big nut that clamps them on the shaft.

The person to ask regarding top clamp feet is MacyBaby. She is the biggest collector and researcher of feet and attachments I know of here on the forum.

Joe
Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 PM

By rotary are you thinking White rotary? The 117 model# indicates it's a White made machine. The White machines generally used a buttonholer that was attached directly to the presser bar. The top-clamp adapter was removed and the buttonholer went on in it's place. By your description I think that is what you were seeing.
I don't know if a darning foot was ever available but if it's like the White I had briefly I would expect it to FMQ. The thread path is similar to a Singer 15.
Rodney
Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 PM

I was hoping to bait MacyBaby, as I've read a lot of what she has to say, which is extremely helpful.

This is definitely a top-clamping Kenmore rotary. The buttonholer does, in fact, attach directly to the bar, without the top clamp. That lead me to believe it would be possible to attach another type of low shank foot to it that was not necessarily top clamping. I would be willing to try a side clamping foot on it if it is possible to attach one. I mean, I've never FMQ'd before, so it's not like I'll know any better.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The old rotary machines have side clamping feet, that's the main issue. I've not found a good foot that does decent FMQing on the side clamping machines.
Oops I typed it wrong. I meant top clamping foot.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 AM

Any foot to try would be a great start!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by SiouxsieQ View Post
Any foot to try would be a great start!

I don't think there is one that will adequately do FMQing, like I had stated. But if there is one, Macy would know about it. I tried quite a few with no luck.