Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Davis vertical feed base dimensions. >

Davis vertical feed base dimensions.

Davis vertical feed base dimensions.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:49 AM

Default Davis vertical feed base dimensions.

Long story short. I need base dimensions for the later Davis vertical feed model if anyone has one or knows of a database with dimensions like patent diagrams.

The reason is,
I was wondering if I can install a Davis Vertical feed head in a Minnesota model A parlor cabinet without any modifications to the cabinet?
I have a Circa 1910 Davis sewing machine co Bicycle which got me interested in their vertical feed models. I found a Minnesota model A parlor cabinet model not too far from home and would like to acquire a VF Model with rounded corners if it’s a straightforward swap.
I did find a VF Model with cabinet on eBay but shipping is a daunting task even in normal times.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Kevin
Old 04-19-2020, 10:11 AM

Okay I found the dimensions of a Vertical feed base. They are 14”x7”.
Now I need to find out if any underfeed bases are the same but that still doesn’t necessarily mean they are interchange..
Anyone with first hand experience with such a swap?
Old 04-19-2020, 01:04 PM

Minnesota A was made by a few makers other than Davis. If the Minnesota A has a has a rectangular needle / feed dog plate than it is Davis. For the last model Davis NVF the footprint and hinge location is the same. What might be different is how the machine attaches to cabinet at the front edge. Some have a clamp underneath and other a bolt running through the bed in front of the arm. If the attaching methods are different some minor modifications are needled for a drop head cabinet. If you aquire the head first I'd bring it along when examining the cabinet. Personally I'd look for a complete VF treadle on classified websites.

The 1910 Davis bicycle is awesome. Even on ebay I rarely see one. Any info on the bicycle operation or history would be greatly appreciated. I've only found a few conflicting articles online.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 04-19-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Minnesota A was made by a few makers other than Davis. If the Minnesota A has a has a rectangular needle / feed dog plate than it is Davis. For the last model Davis NVF the footprint and hinge location is the same. What might be different is how the machine attaches to cabinet at the front edge. Some have a clamp underneath and other a bolt running through the bed in front of the arm. If the attaching methods are different some minor modifications are needled for a drop head cabinet. If you aquire the head first I'd bring it along when examining the cabinet. Personally I'd look for a complete VF treadle on classified websites.

The 1910 Davis bicycle is awesome. Even on ebay I rarely see one. Any info on the bicycle operation or history would be greatly appreciated. I've only found a few conflicting articles online.

Jon
That is just the sort of helpful information that I was looking for! Based on your experience It’s probably best not to even attempt a head swap.

I have located one in Colorado but I am not sure that the seller is up to the task of shipping it without the gorillas at UPS turning it to splinters and broken cast iron! I am thinking about requesting that she take it to UPS to be professionally packed but I am not sure if she would be comfortable disassembling the cabinet and I am not sure if I am comfortable with UPS doing it either. It would probably cost more than the machine itself but I believe it would be worth the price. Do you have any information about classified sites to possibly locate another closer to Texas?

Davis built machines are few and far between down here in South Texas but I have found a few Minnesota machines.

I noticed some Davis Dayton cycle ads on the fiddlebase site. The Davis sewing machine co. has quite a following on the C.A.B.E. Classic &Antique Bicycle exchange. A quick search there will turn up quite a bit of information on the cycling end of their manufacturing. I believe they built some of the Harley Davidson bicycles before shutting their doors in 1923.

This one is a great example...
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/sh...28#post-822117

On the subject of quilting, hopefully, here is a detail of the quilt top that I completed for my father. The embroidery by Nannie Brumfield, my great grandmother is self explanatory. She passed away in 1947. I used a machine briefly for a few inches, pulled the stitches and completed it by hand in about two years. I did however cheat on the first part of the binding only because it would be hidden.
Attached Thumbnails 23d969a9-a3b0-4f72-930b-2c022a001e71.jpeg  
Old 04-19-2020, 07:22 PM

Exellent info on the Davis bicycles, Thank You. There is lots of good stuff I look forward to reading there. If you find some Davis made or questionable machines that seem a good prospect post some pics. You can always get a Vertical feed and a treadle base and build a simple top if handy with woodworking tools.

Jon
Old 04-20-2020, 05:28 AM

Exellent info on the Davis bicycles, Thank You. There is lots of good stuff I look forward to reading there. If you find some Davis made or questionable machines that seem a good prospect post some pics. You can always get a Vertical feed and a treadle base and build a simple top if handy with woodworking tools.

Jon
Thats a great idea.
I don’t mind a little modification as long as it can be put back in original configuration.
heres the parlor cabinet I’m most interested in. It looks like the veneer lifted and was replaced with vinyl or maybe that’s how it was made.

Attached Thumbnails 5017e68e-4f02-44f9-966d-04a77ab3286c.jpeg  
Old 04-20-2020, 05:47 AM

More angles....
Attached Thumbnails ff91886d-b7da-417b-b4f6-fd6620a13e2f.jpeg   9893fd6e-c501-47c7-9e7b-fe445c56f768.jpeg  
Old 04-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Wow. That is one beautiful sewing machine cabinet. A Davis VF2 would drop right in and uses many of the same parts. I'd never permanently seperate the Minnesota head from the cabinet though. This was made around 1904. Site for Davis VF ID.

http://www.kelsew.info/Davis/davisVFmodels.html

Jon
Old 04-20-2020, 03:22 PM

kdkibbe, Welcome aboard. Iris and I met you at Sedalia. We were on the side by side.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:14 AM

Wow. That is one beautiful sewing machine cabinet. A Davis VF2 would drop right in and uses many of the same parts. I'd never permanently seperate the Minnesota head from the cabinet though. This was made around 1904. Site for Davis VF ID.

http://www.kelsew.info/Davis/davisVFmodels.html

Jon
Fantastic!
So then it’s a genuine Davis made Minnesota I assume? What is your opinion of the top of the cabinet? Did they have an inset, or were they all wood veneer?
I still haven’t heard back from the owners. I may send another email to them...

If it all works out I will document that the heads have been changed and someday, hopefully A time from now, my nephew can sell both heads together when he liquidates my estate. I rarely sell anything.

Great to know a VF will fit, do you know if a later NVF will also fit?
I found one possibly for $100 but it’s missing the bullet shuttle, which might be problematic.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-21-2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps