Did it again!

Old 04-05-2015, 02:22 PM

Default Did it again!

Bought myself another Pfaff 1222. That makes four -did have another but I sold/shared it with another Pfaff 1222 nut. This one has a cracked main gear but it doesn't affect the straight or zigzag stitching and I can leave at the hall where we meet for quilting so i don't have to wrestle my "good" 1222SE there. And risk dropping it like I did last November. Cracked my ribs and bruises all over but my machine was fine. Just broke a bit off the inner support for the table and foot control. My first thought when I fell was "I broke my machine!"
Old 04-05-2015, 03:06 PM

I'm not sure what the 1222SE is? Is that just another incarnation of the Pfaff 1222? I have that one.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:52 AM

I only have one 1222, but I have 3 Bernina 830s for the same reason. I just wouldn't want to be without one or have a couple extra:> I had to sink some $$ into my 1222 to have it rebuilt as it was the early stages of my tinkering career, but it was worth every penny.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:11 AM

The SE, like the E, has some extra electro-magical features that mostly seem to involve using the presser bar lifter in an extra upper position to activate the bobbin winder and bring up the bobbin thread instead of having to manually turn the wheel (also no stop motion wheel to disengage). As far as I can tell, the difference between the E and SE is that the SE has a big wedge foot control...

The 1222 SE is the most modern machine (and most expensive, still) in my house. I'm a little scared of it, but it does sew very slowly when you want it to.

Last edited by monopas; 04-06-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:44 AM

I have recently been watching these Pfaff machines on ebay I have only seen those marked, "1222" and "1222E", but have not been able to tell the difference. I think I read somewhere that the 1222 has more metal pieces. Can anyone explain the difference for sure!! Many of them are, "Untested, pedal missing, for parts only"....this tells me that they don't work but the seller does not want to admit it. Even these machines sell, so are they easy to fix? Parts available?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
I have recently been watching these Pfaff machines on ebay I have only seen those marked, "1222" and "1222E", but have not been able to tell the difference. I think I read somewhere that the 1222 has more metal pieces. Can anyone explain the difference for sure!! Many of them are, "Untested, pedal missing, for parts only"....this tells me that they don't work but the seller does not want to admit it. Even these machines sell, so are they easy to fix? Parts available?
No idea whether those ones will fix. The machine I found had a frozen needle bar and no cords to test with. The machine itself looked clean so I took a chance. I was able to bargain it down to 5.00. At that price, there was really no risk for me. Controllers and cords for these can be pretty expensive unless you get lucky or are willing to wait for the right buy.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post

Cracked nylon camstacks can be an issue and also the stitch selector knob sometimes needs work . Both of these things are not what I would call easy to fix.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 AM

And there are no new parts available for these Pfaffs. You can sometimes find replacement bobbin cases, but the plastic bits and switches not so much. The power button is very problematic. We were lucky to have a Pfaff SM guy with a donor machine a few years ago, but we use a plug strip to turn it off and on and leave the power button alone. We also keep it unplugged unless using it because if the circuit board gets damaged, there is one guy who makes replacements, but he has a waitlist and it isn't cheap. The cleated belt slips a little on our SE when rotating the (yipes plastic!) wheel by hand, but it runs fine. Which is good because you can't get the cleated belts either, though I think there used to be someone who custom made them.

They are great machines and sturdy, but if something breaks it might not be fixable. Those "parts only" people are probably telling the truth, and it really wouldn't be worth it to them to shell out the $100+ to buy a power cord/foot control because it wouldn't increase the selling price enough.

There's a $5.00 one on auction site right now that the seller is lying about, but probably through ignorance. That foot control is NOT original or it is not the machine they claim it is (all info on the machine is covered up), and I doubt the machine will be fixable anyway. On the other hand someone else wants $200.00 for one that they know is barely even a parts machine, no foot control in the photos and the extension bed is missing.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:29 PM

Check ebay, monopas. There are many of those parts you mention, new, for sale there.

Originally Posted by monopas View Post
And there are no new parts available for these Pfaffs. You can sometimes find replacement bobbin cases, but the plastic bits and switches not so much. The power button is very problematic. We were lucky to have a Pfaff SM guy with a donor machine a few years ago, but we use a plug strip to turn it off and on and leave the power button alone. We also keep it unplugged unless using it because if the circuit board gets damaged, there is one guy who makes replacements, but he has a waitlist and it isn't cheap. The cleated belt slips a little on our SE when rotating the (yipes plastic!) wheel by hand, but it runs fine. Which is good because you can't get the cleated belts either, though I think there used to be someone who custom made them.

They are great machines and sturdy, but if something breaks it might not be fixable. Those "parts only" people are probably telling the truth, and it really wouldn't be worth it to them to shell out the $100+ to buy a power cord/foot control because it wouldn't increase the selling price enough.

There's a $5.00 one on auction site right now that the seller is lying about, but probably through ignorance. That foot control is NOT original or it is not the machine they claim it is (all info on the machine is covered up), and I doubt the machine will be fixable anyway. On the other hand someone else wants $200.00 for one that they know is barely even a parts machine, no foot control in the photos and the extension bed is missing.