Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Did I mess up the timing on my FW? >

Did I mess up the timing on my FW?

Did I mess up the timing on my FW?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
I was sewing along on my FW when it sort of seized up. There were multiple threads emerging from the hole in the needle plate. Took out the bobbin and found thread wound around the bobbin case base/hook area. Cleared the threads out and started to sew again. I can only get about 3 stitches before the thread gets all wound around the hook area again. This happens again and again. Does this mean the timing is messed up or is it another problem? I didn't hit a pin (don't use them much) but I was working on a pinwheel quilt and the center of the pinwheels gets pretty dense so maybe hitting that center seam at the wrong place or wrong speed did something to mess it up.
I guess my question is: is there something I can do to fix this or do I need to take it in to get retimed? I've looked at a few videos online about timing but it scares me that I'll do more damage since I haven't got any idea what I'm doing.
CAUTION Pam When you do take the bobbin case area apart and check for a piece of thread Please put a towel under your machine to catch the very tiny Gibb screw that is in the case area. This screw is so tiny and could easily get lost forever. I keep a small plastic container that came as a measuring cup on something like you find on Nyquil or some other type of med. like that. I keep this in my Sewing case just for that little screw when I have had a thread get caught. I want to warn you and others who may not think of this ahead of time. Knock on my wooden head, thank goodness I haven't lost this baby yet.

Last edited by Gerbie; 07-19-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:09 PM

I tried everything to no avail so here's how I solved the problem: took it in to my repair guy. He said the loop guard was scratched and rough so he took it apart and polished it. Runs fine now. Evidently this can happen through years of normal use until it just gets bad enough to cause a problem. If anyone else has this happen, I found the instructions for fixing it at www.tantrepair.com but I'm glad I took it in because it looks rather involved to me.