Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dirty but loaded with possibility >

Dirty but loaded with possibility

Dirty but loaded with possibility

Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Default Dirty but loaded with possibility

I had a decent day out yard sale-ing. I've been waiting for the Salvage Shop down at the dump to be open ever since I picked up my Singer 500A. It needs a few donor parts and I thought I had seen another Rocketeer before. As it turned out it was a 503A and it was still there. I haven't plugged it in but it's loaded with parts. In fact it's so complete I am tempted to try and restore it on it own instead of using it as a donor. I'll know better once I have time to clean it up and test the motor. *It also has an extra face plate.

Donor parts needed for the 500A would be the cord, the top, the tension device, a spring and a screw. It appears to have them all. The only thing off would be the info card on the inside of the lid. I was able to get it for 10.00.

I also couldn't resist this gold New Home. It had a nice box full of rotary attachments and some needles in the side compartment, but no cord. Still, how could I pass it up? It's gold!

Both machines are really dirty. The Singer is downright gross, but for 10.00 a machine I expect to get my hands dirty.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0337-640-x-426-2-.jpg   dsc_0341-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 PM

Nice machines! If they sold them at the dump here for $10 each, I'd be there every weekend!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:51 PM

I'd be inclined to fix the 502 too. Nice saves!
Rodney
Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 AM

It's always a problem - you get a machine that is only missing a few parts and it's so tempting to want to fix it up. But then you find the "few parts" it's missing are the same ones that always seem to be missing . . .

So you end up with two machines that you are looking for parts to complete, instead of one whole machine, and a pile of extra parts to help get other machines up and running.

BTW - the gold is a FreeWestinghouse made machine, so you shouldn't have much problem getting a cord for it.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:35 AM

Looks like I fatfingered my last post here. Correction: 503
Rodney
Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
It's always a problem - you get a machine that is only missing a few parts and it's so tempting to want to fix it up. But then you find the "few parts" it's missing are the same ones that always seem to be missing . . .

So you end up with two machines that you are looking for parts to complete, instead of one whole machine, and a pile of extra parts to help get other machines up and running.

BTW - the gold is a FreeWestinghouse made machine, so you shouldn't have much problem getting a cord for it.
Totally right on the fix it or take parts from it dilemma. I am also in the middle of "pricey-pricey, picture-picture" of a local machine that from the one bad photo from the back appears to be yet another Rocketeer. If the price is right maybe 3 will make 2?

Thanks for the info on the gold machine. I found info getting me to "Westinghouse" but can you explain the connection between Westinghouse and Free Westinghouse?

I'll peek around for plugs. I'm not sure what to look for. The back of the box has a large round hole with a three blade male connector. I remembered this morning having a big plug that had come to me with another machine but it is only a two blade receptacle.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Salvage Shop at the dump. what! you have to tell me about this!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
Salvage Shop at the dump. what! you have to tell me about this!
LOL! We had a group just open one here. They gather stuff that's been dumped that may still be useable. They idea is to encourage people to re-use items. I believe they must rent the space and they are only open one day a month.

Maybe you could encourage your town to do the same?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM

GREAT GREAT! idea. I will look into that.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Nice machines..