Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do I need a darning plate with dropping dogs ? >

Do I need a darning plate with dropping dogs ?

Do I need a darning plate with dropping dogs ?

Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 PM

Default Do I need a darning plate with dropping dogs ?

I have recently been trying to collect a full set of accessories for my 306w ( only 21 more cams to go ) and noticed in several places where there are darning plates for these machines. oddly enough there is a thumb screw underneath that drops the feed dogs. is that not something that I am supposed to do ? or do you need the Dish shaped raised plate even if you drop the dogs ? I must be missing something.

Confused again in Alaska
Dan
Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I have recently been trying to collect a full set of accessories for my 306w ( only 21 more cams to go ) and noticed in several places where there are darning plates for these machines. oddly enough there is a thumb screw underneath that drops the feed dogs. is that not something that I am supposed to do ? or do you need the Dish shaped raised plate even if you drop the dogs ? I must be missing something.

Confused again in Alaska
Dan
For darning, my manual suggests the straight stitch plate, as well as dropping the feed dog.
The plate you refer to is called an embroidery plate in my manual but other than this there's no mention of it. I have thought exactly the same as you, but it sounds like you need to use the plate for embroidery rather than dropping the FD.

I have four sets of those cams, pity you're so far away!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:17 AM

I think the plate can be used instead of dropping the feed dogs. Check and see if it fit OVER them when they are up. That way you don't have to mess with dropping them if you just have a bit of darning to do, and then back to regular sewing. I have not looked at the 306 - but is that adjustment to adjust the feed dogs (and you can lower them all the way) or like the 15 where when you tighten it back up, the feed dogs go back to where they were to start.

Sometimes the plate is also for straight stitch only (small hole) and when darning and embroidery, the smaller the needle hole is, the less lightly you'll end up getting the fabric pulled down into that hole.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Manicmike, you are likely correct in that I am calling it by the wrong name, I was going by Flea-bay listings, not from the manual. Yes it is a shame that I am about geographicly as far seperated as possible...a full set of cams is a goal I have. Though they are not heavy to ship and I am not in a hurry....hmmm. Cathy, No I do not believe it is an adjustment. It seems to be engaged or not anything in between would not stay put. Yes the plates I have seen are small hole and raised up above the dogs. The 306 is NOT a handy machine it requires "tilting" to change the bobbin or to drop the dog. (I cheat as it is on a stripped treadle base with no drip pan and is rather easy to reach from under the table.)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:17 PM

I'm going to be controversial and say try it without the darning plate and without dropping the dogs, just set the stitch length to 0. This is what Leah Day does when she free motion quilts and she likes the tension she gets better. Really darning is no different than free motion embroidery or free motion quilting. The nice part about not having the darning plate is the greater clearance. I used to FMQ on my 301 and forgot several times to drop the dogs OR set the stitch length to 0 and never used a plate. The other thing you may like is a darning foot and lighter presser foot pressure.

Here's possibly a first... technically, I'm closer to you than a lot of the members... I might still have some 306 cams. I can't recall off the top of my head if I gave them to a friend or not. If they're here (I'll check tomorrow) perhaps I'll grab an address for you and send them up.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:38 PM

Manicmike, you are likely correct in that I am calling it by the wrong name, I was going by Flea-bay listings, not from the manual. Yes it is a shame that I am about geographicly as far seperated as possible...a full set of cams is a goal I have.
Pfft! Who cares about the name? We all know what you mean
The 306 is a wonderful machine. A friend of mine modified his bobbin cases to be able to use the 15x1 needles and uses them for everything. Really loves his 306s. The bobbins are a reasonable size, so at least you don't have to fill them all the time. My 201 seems smaller, and needs more filling. I only ever use the ZZ and blind stitch cams.

Tammi has a good suggestion there. You won't damage anything by trying darning with or without the special plate, and then we'll all know. I've never darned with my 319 or 320 but embroidery with FD dropped works extremely well.
Oh and I just remembered that in my Bernina manual, you can do the same patterns on a machine without a cam stack as one with, by manually moving the zig-zag and needle position levers: I tried it and it really works, so who needs cams if you have co-ordination?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Pfft! Who cares about the name? We all know what you mean
The 306 is a wonderful machine. A friend of mine modified his bobbin cases to be able to use the 15x1 needles and uses them for everything. Really loves his 306s. The bobbins are a reasonable size, so at least you don't have to fill them all the time. My 201 seems smaller, and needs more filling. I only ever use the ZZ and blind stitch cams.

Tammi has a good suggestion there. You won't damage anything by trying darning with or without the special plate, and then we'll all know. I've never darned with my 319 or 320 but embroidery with FD dropped works extremely well.
Oh and I just remembered that in my Bernina manual, you can do the same patterns on a machine without a cam stack as one with, by manually moving the zig-zag and needle position levers: I tried it and it really works, so who needs cams if you have co-ordination?
oh sure... I suck at sewing am using a treadle and you want me to manipulate the little arm lever at the same time ? what could possibly go wrong ?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:49 PM

Oh and about trying the darning embroidery thing with or with out a plate... uhm yeah ... about that ... I don't really have a use for either darning or embroidery right now.... I just saw the plate advertised and was wondering why it was made if the dogs dropped... seriously guys I am still just trying to make a decent straight seam not so much of a seamster, more of a gadget collector. I may try some simple embroidery though, maybe a name patch border or something...cant hurt to try right ?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 AM

Oh and about trying the darning embroidery thing with or with out a plate... uhm yeah ... about that ... I don't really have a use for either darning or embroidery right now.... I just saw the plate advertised and was wondering why it was made if the dogs dropped... seriously guys I am still just trying to make a decent straight seam not so much of a seamster, more of a gadget collector. I may try some simple embroidery though, maybe a name patch border or something...cant hurt to try right ?
Ha ha! OK, we'll just 'drop it' then

Before you know it you'll be treadling, embroidering and winding the bobbin at the same time. I hear the treadled 306 is very pleasant to use, so you'll at least enjoy yourself. It always surprises me how much there is to learn with sewing.

Our sewing ancestors were all awesome.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:22 AM

the cover plate covers all the un-needed holes and slots and depending on the fabric you may want that....denim = no problem, but organza, chenille, true dotted swiss (woven, not the printed ones) anything soft, fluffy, or not smooth finish can be caught in the slots.....so the need for a cover plate may be fabric oriented rather than machine required as for example the machine required cover plate with the buttonholer attachment for straight stitch machines.

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 05-06-2015 at 04:28 AM.