Do I need a new motor??

Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the link Jennifer...I'll check it out today.

I'll report on what happened in case someone else is trying this for the first time-
This motor was put together a little differently than the one in the tutorial but I was still able to follow along. The brushes were accessed internally. There were no external ports but they were easy to find and remove.
I cleaned the carbon build up off the commutator same as the tutorial but when it came to cleaning the micas I was stumped. It seemed that there were no spaces to clean out. I talked to someone who thought that some motors had rosin between the copper plates in order to keep them from fowling...no cleaning needed.
The shaft did not turn very smooth so I thought I'd remove the pulley and clean it up. This is where my problems started. I couldn't loosen the set screw so when my boyfriend came home I asked him to help. He got the screw to turn easily but couldn't get the pulley off the shaft...I asked if the set screw was out far enough and got the 'eyeroll'. Being a ruff and tumble kind of guy he put the whole thing in a vise and 'tapped' the shaft out. It was then that he noticed the copper winding slid down the shaft and many of the wires were broken. I don't know of any way to fix that so a new motor will need to be ordered.
After my anger dissipated I looked everything over again to see where 'I' went wrong. It turns out that on this motor there is no flat spot on the shaft like in the tutorial, there's a dimple that the set screw rests in. A couple more turns of the set screw would have made it easy to remove the pulley.

I would not hesitate to try this again and I think Cari's right...the next one will be a piece of cake!

Thanks all-
Deb