Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a Singer Featherweight?

Blog Entries
    yes you will not be sorry, I use mine with no worries about the computer going bad, and with the book and DVD you can do all the cleaning, oiling and most all repairs your self. I have 4 featherweights, and I can let my 4H students use them with no worries about them doing some thing bad to the machine that would cost me a large repair bill. I take one or two to my quilting B twice a month, so easy to pack and load in my car, (I have a tiny smart car) I can pack 3 of them in the back and craft case on the front sear if need be. and still room to pack 4th one in case on the floor, I would not want to be with out my little girls now, it took me awhile to start using them but now that I have I love them. IMHO I'd say yes get one if in your budget, and you can use it when you have your other machine in the shop for cleaning or repairs.
    dare to dream

For me, it was a want. Now that I have one I rarely use my other (two!) electronic/computerized machines. So my original "want" has turned into a definite need. I would give up my other machines if I could only keep one of the three. I started quilting a quilt on my Brother electronic machine and then resumed quilting it on my Featherweight -- the comparison of the straight stitches is almost unbelievable. My Featherweight has the very best straight stitch EVER and I use it for everything. Everything.

I wanted one for a very very long time and I bought one last week. I love it. My main machine is a Kenmore by Janome and does its job very well but it's loud and heavy. My FW is cute with a great stitch for piecing. I also have a vintage ZZ machine I use for its pretty stitches but that's the machine that sits more often than not. I think if you know you're going to piece a lot and want a small, quiet machine that can be moved easily a FW is not a bad choice. Do you NEED one? If you already have one machine and aren't too put out when it goes down for service, you don't need one. I love mine and wouldn't trade it now that I have it but I didn't need it. I wanted it.

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    I also have a Featherweight and. 301. I love them both! The Featherweight is great for piecing and other easy sewing ,it's fun to use and look at. The 301 I use for quilting, binding and " other" sewing. I use the Bernina for FMQ. It's a matter of convienence and FUN. THE BERNINA is heavy and if for some reason I want to put away the Featherweight it's easy. These are not all practical reasons but or even sensible but changing it up adds to the interest. The Featherweight does sew a lovely straight stitch as does the 301.

OK, all of you have convinced to get my FW out of her case and sew again on her. I was ready to sell her, but for now I will keep her. I agree she sews perfect scant 1\4 inch seams, perfect. And she is so lightweight, a dream to lug around and small too. OK, you convinced me.

I absolutely adored my first Featherweight. Adored it so much that I bought five more of them. I have the Janome 6600 for my home machine, but it's much too large and heavy to haul places. I take my FW with me to retreats, workshops, classes, vacation, etc. I use them all the time. Sometimes I just sew on it because it's fun to use! I love them. I've worked at getting all the accessories, feet etc. that came with the original machine too. I consider mine an investment that will either stay the same or grow in value. My answer is Yes, you do need one if you even think you might like it. I've used them several times as a back up when my Janome was on the fritz too. I just love them. I have the card table and the #68 cabinet Singer made for a short time. Makes me happy happy happy!
    Karen in Kentucky

I use mine every day. My newest machine sits lonely in the corner. I have 2 featherweights and an old Singer 66, those are my machines of choice. My granddaughter recently decided to learn to sew and she is in love with the Featherweight. There is no real harm in trying one if you can afford it, you can always sell it for what you have in it, or maybe even more. They are in demand. I love mine, but that's just me.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have three Featherweight machines and two houses. I keep one at each house and the third one travels between the two. Two are inherited from grandmothers which makes them special and the third I stumbled on in a resale shop for a price too good to pass up. I use them all the time. They are my go-to machines for piecing and general sewing. I take one along on vacations when we are going to be staying in one place for a week. I have great joy using them. For FMQ and zig zag I use my heavier Viking machine so I would not want my Featherweight to be my only machine but it is definitely the one most used.

Absolutely yes you do. I love piecing on mine.

Everyone needs a Featherweight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you asked, this will be the first time I can admit that I bought a Featherweight that I thought I just had to have a couple of years ago. I paid top dollar for it on Ebay because it was from my birth year and has a beautiful scroll plate on the front. Came with all the books and accessories, it is beautiful and I have never used it. I've carried it with me to Texas for the winter where I thought I would take the time to learn to use it but I also took my Pfaff. Turns out that the Pfaff is so easy to use that I never did get it out. So, my point is, I have no advice for you. Good luck with your decision. Although, I don't want to get rid of it either, but I do feel kind of guilty about the whole thing. I had a friend who loved hers and used it in her motor home. Please let us know what you decide.

I'm teaching my grand-children to sew on a Featherweight machine.
    Beate Keith

When I need precision piecing or am going to a class, I turn to the Featherweight. I have a quilt cut out now that will need precision and I'll do it on the Featherweight. But for everyday sewing or string quilts, I turn to my Singer 301 and/or other machines. I always have at least one machine set up and dedicated to piecing.

The Featherweight has a good stitch and the feed dogs allow more precision, I think. The 301 has gears rather than belts as a Featherweight does, and is therefore more powerful. The 301 also free motion quilts like a dream, and I would never again do that on a Featherweight, which wasn't made for fmq. Trying to do so was an exercise in frustration. The Singer 221 Featherweight is a joy to use as a piecing machine, and really only that. It is not all that versatile, but it is lightweight and good for traveling or in an RV, I would think. I wouldn't give mine up.

If you set yours up and left it up for piecing, I think you would get a lot of use out of it and would be glad you got it. It is a wonderfully engineered machine.

Blog Entries
    I have one, seldom use it but it sews great. I pull it out ever so often and sew on it but never start a project with it. I guess I like all the modern things that come with the new ones. But if you want it get it, they are cute and they are real good machines but as far as using it you probably won't.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

I have three FW's - do I want, need, use them? YES!!! I often have several projects going on at once and they're all set up like 'ducks in a row' !!

I used to think I wanted a featherweight and might still get one someday. However, I think my next machine will be a 403 Singer. I got one and it does it all for me! So for me, I would take a 403 over a featherweight at this point. That is just me though.

You may not need one-but like so may of us who wanted one-they are nice and make such beautiful stitch and are so easy to use, maintain and they travel very nicely--I'd say get one if you want one!! As someone else mentioned the 301( which is called the Featherweights big sister on steroids)-is also a very nice machine. I have 2 of each and love them all. I have taken one of the 301-A's to a daughter's home-but told her if she no longer wants it to let me know because I will take it back home with me. They are all really wonderful to sew on. When my girls as me why I have so many machines I just tell them their Daddy had more guns than I have sewing machines and I like them!! What ever you decide enjoy your machines and swing.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

The last word was to be sewing.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    I used to think I wanted a featherweight and might still get one someday. However, I think my next machine will be a 403 Singer. I got one and it does it all for me! So for me, I would take a 403 over a featherweight at this point. That is just me though.
    I have one - it is my go to machine - a 503 is just as nice
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    If your Janome does everything (I am not sure if it does FMQ) you may not need it. It's handy to have two machine with two different colors of thread ready to go if you are doing more than one project. I love the stitch my old singer 15-91 makes but it has to be oiled EVERYDAY when in use.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
    If your Janome does everything (I am not sure if it does FMQ) you may not need it. It's handy to have two machine with two different colors of thread ready to go if you are doing more than one project. I love the stitch my old singer 15-91 makes but it has to be oiled EVERYDAY when in use.
    you might need to be using Tri-Flow on your 15-91
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I love piecing on my featherweight! It sews such a straight 1/4" seam with those feed dogs so close together. Peicing is much more enjoyable in it than on either of my Vikings with all the other stitches. I also really liked my mom's 301 - what a great stitch it has - and it only weighs about 3-4 more lbs than a featherweight.

Yes, I prefer my 301 to the Featherweight. More foolproof!

Blog Entries
    I didn't "Need" to have my Featherweight, but it sure makes my heart happy to know I do have her. Her name is Sherrie She has a special place in my sewing area and a special place in my heart.

I belong to a group that makes quilts for our wounded soldiers and their families. I find it much easier to take my Featherweight or Singer 301 with me, unless I need zig zag stitches. I use my featherweight quite a bit. I just got one of my machines painted a lovely dark purple.
    You can see her in her "new dress and decals" here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...30994-113.html

I like how nicely a Featherweight stitches and its very easy to use, they are lovely little machines. If you decide to buy a Featherweight make sure it has the bobbin case, it takes a modern 15x1 needle.
    Sharon
    owner of 3 Singer Featherweights and a 301
    Last edited by purplefiend; 06-09-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast