Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does 301 go into 71??? No, it's not a math problem??

Does 301 go into 71??? No, it's not a math problem??

I have a 301 machine and recently purchased a 71 cabinet. I also bought a 301 cradle to get it to work. I posted a couple of weeks ago...that it didn't work. I bought another cradle...this one with hardware included. After wrestling with it all morning....it STILL doesn't work!!! I am guessing that my 71 cabinet didn't hold a 301 in its past life. Is there anyway to get this to work??? Attached please see the pics of the cabinet. There doesn't appear to be any screw holes from earlier brackets. Any advice would be appreciated.....before I take to the cabinet with a buzz saw!!! I keep trying to post photos....but they are too big. Clearly, I am as 'not so good' with sewing machine cabinets as I am with computer photos!!!

It should fit. Here's a link to the 71 cabinet and which machines fit into it. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ny/71_cab.html

It sounds like someone has messed with it though. There should be prior hinges that the 301 cradle hinges fit right into and screw in. If I were to guess it's almost like someone already took a buzz saw to it already, to enlarge the opening:<

Here are the photos of the cabinet. Dies it make sense to any of you?? The dark dots on the front cabinet panel are felt cushions. Thanks for your help!!
    Name:  IMG_0406.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  14.0 KBName:  IMG_0404.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  1.44 MBName:  IMG_0405.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  1.58 MB

I am now thinking about putting my 201 in this cabinet and not doing any mods on the cabinet. Any other suggestions
    ??

I don't see why your 301 doesn't fit?

When the cradle is lifted higher than the front panel, they don't fit together. They meet at an apex (if that is the proper term for the tip of a triangle....as I remember it from high school geometry??) well above the level surface of the cabinet. I was initially thinking that by getting the cabinet hardware, that would fit in the front brackets (the free side) of the cradle. I am guessing that if I shave off about a quarter inch of the front part of the panel, between the two curved sides, that might work. Although, I hate to do that, as I would guess that was not how it was designed. I hope I am making sense.

Could you take a photo of how the machine sits in the cradle and hits the table wrong?

Here are two photos. Ther first one shows the machine with the panel flat. The second one shows how the panel and machine meet.Name:  IMG_0409.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  1.75 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think I know what your problem is. It looks like your hardware cut out in the back, doesn't have a notch for the cradle. Here is a photo of a 301 table that is in poor condition, so I sold the cradle and am using the table now to hold stuff in the garage. See the notch? Otherwise your cradle will hit the back side of the table and not allow it to sit flush.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just looked. It looks like it is cut out. The machine sits flush from the back but not on the front. I thought I saw on the ISMAC website that the 71 cabinet also fits a 201. I just dragged my 201 out...but it looks shorter that the 301. It doesn't look like it will fit either. Could each 71 cabinet have a particular insert based on the machine it was sold for??? I really appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Are you certain it's an original Singer table? If so, it should have a Singer serial # on it.

Where might I find the serial number on the cabinet?? I was just going by the photos on ISMAC. It looks like the 71, with the fluted front and it's blond wood.

It should be in the inside front of the cabinet, if it's a Singer cabinet. Either under the front fold out panel or on the inside front part of the cabinet.

I recently bought a sewing cabinet and had a nice gentleman who does carpentry work modify it to fit my 301A. I had the 301 cradle and he added 2 metal pieces at the front edge of the inside of the cut out on the table and lined them up to fit into the front of the cradle. When he finished it and brought it back to me I asked how much I owed him and he said nothing. Told him no that wasn't right and then he asked if I would hem some jeans for him. I love to barter so we both got something and were happy. Hope you can make it work-I love sewing with the machine in a cabinet.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

Well, I guess that solves the mystery. I can't find anywhere a Singer mark or number. I made the initial asumption that it was a 71 cabinet, based on the ISMAC photo. Thanks so much for all of your help and input. I was a bit uneasy about making mods, but now I will go ahead with making the 301 fit. Thanks again!!

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of folks that know a lot about that kind of problem on this Yahoo Group:

[email protected]

You will need to join to be able to ask questions; but it is well worth it.

I have a 15-91 Singer in a cabinet #40. I got a 237 Singer and wanted to know if it would fit in the #40 cabinet. Asked the question and got an immediate response. (yes, it will).

Make certain the hinge pins are inserted into the cradle as far as they will go. You are only lacking a smidge of room for the machine to drop right into place.

Does your cabinet have the support arm that swings out on the left side...or at least the slot where it used to be if someone removed it? If so, I'm thinking it IS a Singer cabinet.

It does have that support arm. Although, I still haven't found anything inside the cabinet that says Singer or any other name.

I am going to head over to the yahoo list after this post. I took off the front panel and found a number stamped into the wood.
    D544251
    For whatever that means!!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Mama View Post
    I am going to head over to the yahoo list after this post. I took off the front panel and found a number stamped into the wood.
    D544251
    For whatever that means!!?!?!?
    Yes, that's the serial number.

So, is it a serial number for a Singer cabinet?? If so, the questions remains....why can't I get my 301 to fit into it. I've double checked the screws on the hinge caps....they are tightened down are far as they can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Mama View Post
    So, is it a serial number for a Singer cabinet?? If so, the questions remains....why can't I get my 301 to fit into it. I've double checked the screws on the hinge caps....they are tightened down are far as they can go.
    Right. I don't know what to tell you :< It should fit. I would pose this question on the vintage Singer yahoo group and see if anyone there has epiphany.

It has to be a problem with your cabinet hinges or the way you have the cradle installed. Are the cabinet hinges freely moving or are they stiff? They should just flop around and be a PITA when trying to get a heavy machine reinstalled in a cabinet. If they are stiff give them a drop of sewing machine oil.
    Remove the cradle completely and loosen the screws on the cradle until they are almost out the whole way, re-tighten them just enough to stay in place when you put the cradle back on the hinge pins. Once the hinge pins are inserted in the cradle there should be no excess hinge pin showing. Tighten the screws and see if it will close.

This cabinet does not have the two little brackets installed on the lift-up part of the lid. The brackets engage with those clip-looking things on the front of the 301's cradle and without the brackets, the cradle is useless. Those are the two little metal pieces that janiesews was talking about.

If that cabinet were being readied for a 301 at the factory, those little brackets would be applied to inside lip with two screws each.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast