Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Does anyone here use a Singer 128 ? >
  • Does anyone here use a Singer 128 ?

• Does anyone here use a Singer 128 ?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 PM

Default Does anyone here use a Singer 128 ?

I ask as I have a couple of them, two of the "Krinkle" finish and an older flowery one for my Daughter.
    I have been contemplating putting one in a "pelican " case ( the hard plastic indestructible suitcase looking things kinda like this http://www.pelicancases.com/1550-p/1550.htm) to take with me on my next military deployment to the desert. The idea is to have a hand crank kit in the box as well as a motor and foot control, to handle the invariable repairs to gear and clothing that comes from being deployed. I like the 128 as it is rugged and will easily handle the layers of webbing and heavy cordura that usually find myself repairing, I just wish it had some way to bar tack. I get by with doing a box X ( think seatbelts )

SO am I crazy to want such and old machine ? Does any one use them on a regular basis? what do you all think. Oh and it also kinda seem natural that a WWII baby in flat black finish would see this kind of use ;-)
    Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 PM
    Google Goddess

sounds like a great idea
    Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 PM

Seems it might be a bit heavy to lug around, but a good idea. On deployment do you barter your services?
    Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 PM

On deployment "everything is negotiable"
    As far as weight, I am a maintainance troop and have a permanent home, no lugging required. Though it is personal gear so cubic size is limited.
    Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 AM
    Power Poster

I think it would be a good choice. They do hand crank well. I have one I have been fixing up for hand crank. I have a bit more of the learning curve to go. As far as straps go the old walking foot machines never had reverse - all the WWI and WWII gear was made on them. The straps I put on a tent are made with the X much stronger to do the X anyway. I like to go over the business side extra though. My only question would be how thick the thread would be going through there. You might be spending a bit of time winding bobbins. A vertical feed or needle feed would be my first choice for strap repairs but I don't know if those will mount a hand crank. I like that case you found.
    Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 AM

Yes a walking foot, compound feed would be best, a needle feed would be am improvememt, I can usually get to the big consews in the riging shop if I really need, but that adds another level of planning to the simple repair. For what I am imagining a simple sturdy machine will suffice. I have never measured but the long bobbins will hold a fair ammount of #69 nylon....several yards worth of stitching I imagine......more than enough for repairs. Have yet to try #92 in it. I am not going anywhere right away..... So I
    will work on a set up and report back.
    Thanks for the idea's

Dan
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM

I have a Godzilla 128 and it's probably my least favorite machine. But, if you need something pretty indestructible and to do a variety of materials it wouldn't be a bad choice.
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf
    On deployment "everything is negotiable"
    As far as weight, I am a maintainance troop and have a permanent home, no lugging required. Though it is personal gear so cubic size is limited.
    You might want to put it in a rolling cart instead of one you have to carry. Those little guys are heavy, as they are all steel. But you're right...they can handle very heavy stuff. I have one, but haven't spent a lot of time with it yet. It's supposed to be for my grandaughter, but she's not interested much yet...only 11 yo.
    Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 AM

Good idea on the wheels, the case I have my eye on actually has built in wheels and an extendable handle. I am full aware of the weight of these little gems, as I have shipped 3 of them to Alaska (ouch)
    Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf
    I ask as I have a couple of them, two of the "Krinkle" finish and an older flowery one for my Daughter.
    I have been contemplating putting one in a "pelican " case ( the hard plastic indestructible suitcase looking things kinda like this http://www.pelicancases.com/1550-p/1550.htm) to take with me on my next military deployment to the desert. The idea is to have a hand crank kit in the box as well as a motor and foot control, to handle the invariable repairs to gear and clothing that comes from being deployed. I like the 128 as it is rugged and will easily handle the layers of webbing and heavy cordura that usually find myself repairing, I just wish it had some way to bar tack. I get by with doing a box X ( think seatbelts )

SO am I crazy to want such and old machine ? Does any one use them on a regular basis? what do you all think. Oh and it also kinda seem natural that a WWII baby in flat black finish would see this kind of use ;-)
    Not crazy at all. It will probably be a real comfort to you out there. I would just be aware of the desert dust getting into her!
    Many best wishes and prayers go with you and your baby