Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Don't do what I did - non-working Necchi Supernova >

Don't do what I did - non-working Necchi Supernova

Don't do what I did - non-working Necchi Supernova

Old 11-15-2013, 12:18 PM

You can get a brand new, state of the art transistor foot controller from Sew-classic.com for $15-20 that is way more dependable. They also sell parts for several kinds of machines. Ask Jennie if she has the cord. They even wire the foot controllers for a small fee if you don't want to mess with that. It all depends what you decide to do with the machine. Donna
Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
This machine was designed to convert to treadle and actually was in some of the user manuals! So, if a motor problem, maybe not all lost???? Or if not interested in treadle, can sell as one. . . .
Yobrosew, I want to say thanks for mentioning the treadle possibility. I had noticed the holes in it but it had not dawned on me what they were for. With the the motor cover on, you can only see the front hole, which usually has a plug in pictures I've seen, and I was wondering what was missing. The machine looks so modern I just didn't occur to me, but I measured it and was delighted to find that it would fit exactly in the Singer treadle base I have. What a fun anomaly that would seem to visitors in my sewing machine "museum". If we had a prolonged power outage it would be the machine of choice because it's the only zigzag I have that can be treadled.

I'd rather not move my Singer 66 out of it's treadle base, but it's an appealing idea. Meanwhile, I have ordered a new foot pedal with power cord on eBay. I hope I'm right that it will be the simple solution, but if not, the treadle remains the good excuse to have bought the machine in the first place.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 PM

I finally threaded her up and turned the hand wheel a few times. I'm happy to report that she sews pretty stitches, and I'm definitely keeping her!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
You can get a brand new, state of the art transistor foot controller from Sew-classic.com for $15-20 that is way more dependable. They also sell parts for several kinds of machines. Ask Jennie if she has the cord. They even wire the foot controllers for a small fee if you don't want to mess with that. It all depends what you decide to do with the machine. Donna
Oops! Thanks Donna. I missed your comment until I'd already bought the eBay one. It's probably pretty reasonable, wired with the cord and all new for around $26. I'll check Sew Classic next time.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:27 PM

I've serviced several machines of this model and have never seen black gunk like that. I would be tempted to remove those two screws in the motor and clean things out in there, and change the brushes while I'm at it.

The two switches are often broken. Other than those, that model is very well made, IMHO. Also, belts are not necessarily easy or cheap to get, so if you can re-use that one, great.

The last time I serviced mine, a piece was lose in that area and I never did find out where it belonged. I'm still puzzled, but the machine runs beautifully.

Thanks for mentioning the treadling. I forgot it had that capability.

I'll be watching for updates on your progress.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 PM

Can you confirm? The black goop - is it oily for sure or is it sort of dry? If it's just dry, it's carbon from the brushes and the amount of it indicates that the brushes are almost surely to be worn down to nubs. If they're worn that much, the motor won't do much of anything. These brushes will do just fine to be changed.

If it's oily, then I'd say yeah, someone oiled it. That said, being "internal" I'd think that's less likely.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:51 AM

Hi Rose
I a Antonio and I am writing from Rome -Italy.

I am helping an old gentle lady who owns such machine (the 12volt portion of the transformer is gone ,the one for the light bulb).
So I have got on this blog because I was looking for info regarding the Necchi Supernova.
I have read you help ad maybe I can help you someway even I am not a sewing machine expert .
I case write to :[email protected]
ciao
Antonio
Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 AM

The black goo is from the original belt. They had a tendency to self destruct and spew that black mess everywhere. I would bet money that the belt on the machine is too small. Remove it and see if the motor picks up speed. The only place I know of to get a correct belt for a Necchi Supernova is Allyn International www.allynint.com I doubt the nice man who owned your machine called them up
I am basing this on 2 things: Experience cleaning the black belt goo off of 2 of these machines and the fact that if you look at your motor you can see all the belt dust collected on the fins of the motor.
Oh - one more thing - the toggle switches that are missing are a common occurrence with the Supernova series machine. Don't sweat it. You can replace with toggles from an electronics store or just deal with them. If they still rock back and forth I'd leave well enough alone.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 05-31-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 AM

Forget the motor and the pedal...TREADLE it! Looks like that is what someone did to yours.? I have the instructions in the manual for turning it into a treadle. I will share them with you if you want.

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 05-31-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM

Hi all,
When I took the cover off my supernova, I was amazed at the black gunk under it. but the belt showed signs of significant wear. Motor works fine. Eager to put a belt on it. I enjoy treadles too and was delighted to see the holes in the base. It may be my first treadle zz machine.