Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Downsizing - What to do w/old machines >

Downsizing - What to do w/old machines

Downsizing - What to do w/old machines

Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Downsizing - What to do w/old machines

I was given these by a friend several years ago since I have a large sewing room and lots of machines, but need to downsize, so am starting with these as I don't use them. Have a friend that will help me list on Craigslist and/or E-Bay, but really don't have any idea of what they go for these days, or how much interest there really is. The first is a SInger AE334782, and the second is a White Rotary FR2323879. I live in rural northwestern Arizona. [ATTACH=CONFIG]347695[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]347696[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]347698[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]347699[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]347700[/ATTACH]Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails dscf0935.jpg   dscf0936.jpg   dscf0937.jpg   dscf0938.jpg   dscf0939.jpg  

Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 AM

Very nice machines. I don't know what price you should ask but someone will.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:58 PM

So you were given these nice machines. If you wish to see them move quickly from your home, price them at a price that will hopefully attract some interest. The White machine has very lovely decals, but since the White cabinet is missing a drawer and more folks are interested in Singer machines, I would price the White for $50. Not a lot of folks that treadle. The Singer has those great RAF decals, has motor, and is in a nice cabinet. Cabinet could be used with many different Singer machines. I would price that one at $100 to start. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:26 PM

If you live close to amish, they would snap that White up in a heart beat. I bought mine for $45.00 and thought I got a great deal.
Mary
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Id adopt at least one of them if i lived close enough. Love the white cabinet and id sure love that singer too. Where do you live??
Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

I'd say this post in right on with pricing to move. Very nice machines.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
So you were given these nice machines. If you wish to see them move quickly from your home, price them at a price that will hopefully attract some interest. The White machine has very lovely decals, but since the White cabinet is missing a drawer and more folks are interested in Singer machines, I would price the White for $50. Not a lot of folks that treadle. The Singer has those great RAF decals, has motor, and is in a nice cabinet. Cabinet could be used with many different Singer machines. I would price that one at $100 to start. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 AM

I'm the other way around, That singer can be replaced for 35 to 50$

The white is another story, you don't see many whites in a parlor cab.. That drawer would be very simple to reproduce

I would price it around a 100 and stay close to that.. The white is worth more than that singer
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 AM

I would start by doing a search for those machines on eBay. You can look at completed auctions to get a ball-park idea of the current price range. Be sure to note whether they actually sold. Keep in mind that you can get more for things on eBay, generally, than on CL, but then you might have to deal with shipping. The success of that might depend on how many people live in your area. I had good luck selling some chairs on CL one time, and have bought several things that way. We're near a big city, with plenty of people nearby who might be looking for specific things.

If you have access to a truck or van and are willing to deliver within a certain range, you could sweeten the deal by mentioning that in your listing.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by notsureif View Post
I'm the other way around, That singer can be replaced for 35 to 50$

The white is another story, you don't see many whites in a parlor cab.. That drawer would be very simple to reproduce

I would price it around a 100 and stay close to that.. The white is worth more than that singer
The White may be worth more than the Singer, but I see lots of Whites like that just sitting on CLs. Remember that there is a very small market of folks that will want or even use a treadle- and even less interested in that style of Whites. Those cabinets take up lots of space.

And yes, I agree that Singer could be replaced for even $10. A couple of years back I picked up a Singer 15-90 in a Queen Anne cabinet for $10. I then picked up a Singer 15-91, put it in the Singer Queen Anne cabinet, and then sold it for $120. So anything can go.

The RAF decals are what makes that Singer 15 worth more since that is more rare a decal to find on the Singer 15s here in the States.

If she lived in a more populated area and is willing to wait a bit, I would say start both at $100, but she states that she doesn't. It's all about how quickly she wishes to downsize and who is doing the buying.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 PM

Do keep in mind that different machines will go for different prices in different areas/markets. Condition makes a big difference, both cosmetic and working.