Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dust cover pattern for a Singer 66

Dust cover pattern for a Singer 66

Hello all! I "inherited" a vintage 1916 Singer sewing machine still in the original cabinet from my aunt who cleaned it up and got it running (Thanks Aunt!). I've done basic internet searches for "singer 66 sewing machine dust cover pattern" and not much has come up. Has anyone found a pattern that will work well for one of these vintage machines? I just need the basic size to make it, I can adapt by adding pockets etc. I just don't want to mess around with something and try to make it work and find it's the wrong size. I'm hoping someone already has one they know will work for this machine. Thanks so much!

Isn't this one adorable? https://www.lovesewingmag.co.uk/free...pattern-ideas/

Most of these patterns are pretty generic. I have an old commercial pattern that I adapt for whatever machine I'm making it for at the time by changing the width, height, etc. I've even adapted it to fit one of my sergers. I like to use pre-quilted fabric and add machine embroidery to fancy it up. So just measure your machine for the size you need it to be and have fun with it!

Cari

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board Krupak. Try posting this in the Main forum also. This is a very helping group so there will be someone coming along with info. Thanks Cari didn’t think about using quilted material when I did mine. Sharon.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

Sewing Machine cover

Quote Originally Posted by krupak View Post
    Hello all! I "inherited" a vintage 1916 Singer sewing machine still in the original cabinet from my aunt who cleaned it up and got it running (Thanks Aunt!). I've done basic internet searches for "singer 66 sewing machine dust cover pattern" and not much has come up. Has anyone found a pattern that will work well for one of these vintage machines? I just need the basic size to make it, I can adapt by adding pockets etc. I just don't want to mess around with something and try to make it work and find it's the wrong size. I'm hoping someone already has one they know will work for this machine. Thanks so much!

Isn't this one adorable? https://www.lovesewingmag.co.uk/free...pattern-ideas/
    Name:  Sewing Machine cover 1B - IMG_1556.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  117.8 KBName:  Sewing Machine cover 1 - IMG_1556.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  1.29 MBName:  Sewing Machine cover 2 - IMG_1556..JPG
Size:  1.06 MBName:  Sewing machine cover 5 - IMG_1557.JPG
Size:  1.18 MBYou can see on the one I made for my friend, I had to add on an inch on each end, and she only has one set of the words, she loves hers and i love mine, and hope you can understand my directions, I made these a few years ago, and must have thrown out my hand written directions, contact me if you need clarification on
    anything. The simple flowers are easy to draw, just have fun with them. Yes use quilted fabric, will save you some time.
    Last edited by d.rickman; 01-11-2019 at 11:22 PM.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

There are a lot of youtube videos out there on how to make a custom cover for your sewing machine. Here's a link to Laura of Sew Very Easy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sXFuLNkR4. She usually has good instructions. I just take a rectangle of fabric, cut it a little wider and longer than I need, hem it up on all four sides and tack the sides together to make a quick dust cover for all my sewing machines.

Blog Entries
    Awesome info. I am going to have to make a couple for my machines soon! There is some great ideas and tutorials out there. Thanks for the links.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Love your quote...makes me smile.

Thanks so much! I guess it's pretty easy and I'm just procrastinating!!

Quote Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
    Name:  Sewing Machine cover 1B - IMG_1556.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  117.8 KBName:  Sewing Machine cover 1 - IMG_1556.JPG
Size:  1.29 MBName:  Sewing Machine cover 2 - IMG_1556..JPG
Size:  1.06 MBName:  Sewing machine cover 5 - IMG_1557.JPG
Size:  1.18 MBYou can see on the one I made for my friend, I had to add on an inch on each end, and she only has one set of the words, she loves hers and i love mine, and hope you can understand my directions, I made these a few years ago, and must have thrown out my hand written directions, contact me if you need clarification on
    anything. The simple flowers are easy to draw, just have fun with them. Yes use quilted fabric, will save you some time.
    Thanks! Your friend is very lucky to have you - this is beautiful. I'll take a look at these instructions and I'm sure it will jumpstart the process...now I just need to teach myself to do hexagons...

Quote Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
    There are a lot of youtube videos out there on how to make a custom cover for your sewing machine. Here's a link to Laura of Sew Very Easy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sXFuLNkR4. She usually has good instructions. I just take a rectangle of fabric, cut it a little wider and longer than I need, hem it up on all four sides and tack the sides together to make a quick dust cover for all my sewing machines.
    This is perfect! I definitely love a tutorial to get started!!

Lizzie Lennard blogged about the one she made and gave detailed instructions. Her's was based on the dimensions of a Singer bentwood case so it should fit any full sized Singer machine

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

ooooh. so interesting.