Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dust cover pattern for a Singer 66 >

Dust cover pattern for a Singer 66

Dust cover pattern for a Singer 66

Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 AM

Default Dust cover pattern for a Singer 66

Hello all! I "inherited" a vintage 1916 Singer sewing machine still in the original cabinet from my aunt who cleaned it up and got it running (Thanks Aunt!). I've done basic internet searches for "singer 66 sewing machine dust cover pattern" and not much has come up. Has anyone found a pattern that will work well for one of these vintage machines? I just need the basic size to make it, I can adapt by adding pockets etc. I just don't want to mess around with something and try to make it work and find it's the wrong size. I'm hoping someone already has one they know will work for this machine. Thanks so much!

Isn't this one adorable? https://www.lovesewingmag.co.uk/free...pattern-ideas/
Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Welcome to the board Krupak. Try posting this in the Main forum also. This is a very helping group so there will be someone coming along with info. Thanks Cari didn’t think about using quilted material when I did mine. Sharon.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Default Sewing Machine cover

Originally Posted by krupak View Post
Hello all! I "inherited" a vintage 1916 Singer sewing machine still in the original cabinet from my aunt who cleaned it up and got it running (Thanks Aunt!). I've done basic internet searches for "singer 66 sewing machine dust cover pattern" and not much has come up. Has anyone found a pattern that will work well for one of these vintage machines? I just need the basic size to make it, I can adapt by adding pockets etc. I just don't want to mess around with something and try to make it work and find it's the wrong size. I'm hoping someone already has one they know will work for this machine. Thanks so much!

Isn't this one adorable? https://www.lovesewingmag.co.uk/free...pattern-ideas/
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606617[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606618[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606619[/ATTACH]You can see on the one I made for my friend, I had to add on an inch on each end, and she only has one set of the words, she loves hers and i love mine, and hope you can understand my directions, I made these a few years ago, and must have thrown out my hand written directions, contact me if you need clarification on
anything. The simple flowers are easy to draw, just have fun with them. Yes use quilted fabric, will save you some time.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-machine-cover-1b-img_1556.jpg   sewing-machine-cover-1-img_1556.jpg   sewing-machine-cover-2-img_1556..jpg   sewing-machine-cover-5-img_1557.jpg  

Last edited by d.rickman; 01-11-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 AM

There are a lot of youtube videos out there on how to make a custom cover for your sewing machine. Here's a link to Laura of Sew Very Easy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sXFuLNkR4. She usually has good instructions. I just take a rectangle of fabric, cut it a little wider and longer than I need, hem it up on all four sides and tack the sides together to make a quick dust cover for all my sewing machines.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 AM

Awesome info. I am going to have to make a couple for my machines soon! There is some great ideas and tutorials out there. Thanks for the links.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:30 AM

Love your quote...makes me smile.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 AM

Thanks so much! I guess it's pretty easy and I'm just procrastinating!!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606617[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606618[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606619[/ATTACH]You can see on the one I made for my friend, I had to add on an inch on each end, and she only has one set of the words, she loves hers and i love mine, and hope you can understand my directions, I made these a few years ago, and must have thrown out my hand written directions, contact me if you need clarification on
anything. The simple flowers are easy to draw, just have fun with them. Yes use quilted fabric, will save you some time.
Thanks! Your friend is very lucky to have you - this is beautiful. I'll take a look at these instructions and I'm sure it will jumpstart the process...now I just need to teach myself to do hexagons...
Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
There are a lot of youtube videos out there on how to make a custom cover for your sewing machine. Here's a link to Laura of Sew Very Easy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sXFuLNkR4. She usually has good instructions. I just take a rectangle of fabric, cut it a little wider and longer than I need, hem it up on all four sides and tack the sides together to make a quick dust cover for all my sewing machines.
This is perfect! I definitely love a tutorial to get started!!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 AM

Lizzie Lennard blogged about the one she made and gave detailed instructions. Her's was based on the dimensions of a Singer bentwood case so it should fit any full sized Singer machine

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4