Electrical Safety

Old 03-12-2015, 03:45 AM

Default Electrical Safety

I have an old machine from the 60s that I bought mainly for the sewing table. I've kept it in the folded down storage position while using the table for my (real?) sewing machine. I'd like to use this old machine as a backup. It's in working condition and the old owner used it without getting electrocuted, but how do I know the electrical system is safe? There's no obvious damage to the cord, but it looks like the original, which would make it 50 years old.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:11 AM

If it's all original and in good condition you should be fine. Give it a good inspection. Are the cords flexible and not brittle? Is there any exposed copper on the wires? Are there any signs of overheating(dark burnt looking areas, etc)? Are there any splices in the wires or any signs of a prior owner messing with the wiring? If it checks out ok and everything works you're most likely fine. Most likely is just because I can't see the machine myself.
Pictures of the machine are always welcome.
Rodney
Old 03-12-2015, 04:39 AM

Thank you! I thought I'd see if I could get some good pictures and post them, but it seems that -- on one of my cleverer days -- I decided to move the cord and pedal from the shelf in the closet to some other location. From previous inspections, I remember them looking really good, with none of the problems you've described. When I find them, I'll give them another look and maybe post pictures if I can take them well enough for them to be useful. In the mean time, I'm going to read up on how to clean and oil it - this is all new to me.

I asked someone I knew this same question and he said that if I got a shock from the machine, then it wasn't safe. Umm, yeah ... I kinda wanted to know before that point. But I can't say he was wrong!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:36 AM

Mitty,

The "shock from the machine" or "buzz" when you touch it is a sore subject on this forum. I've been chastised several times for my opinions and "suggestions". So I will tell you what I was told, and explain my thinking as best I can.

Older machines are polarized to a degree. Meaning that the original wires were wired with a hot and neutral side.
So were the switches, light bulbs, and sometimes motors.

The thing is, the components and wires aren't always marked like the modern ones are. The electrical industry didn't even start to use the polarized plugs until the 80s or the advent of electronics. Outlets have been polarized ( one wide one narrower slot) for many decades now. But even so houses made in the 50's rarely had polarized outlets.

Now, here is what I have read and have tried: If the wiring is in good condition, the motor and light fixtures too and you still get a buzz when you touch the machine, it probably isn't a bad wiring situation. Note the word "probably". Unplug the machine, rotate the plug 180° and plug it back in. The buzz will be gone. I have many machines with agood electrical system that will give a buzz unless they are plugged in the correct way. I've marked the old plugs so I do plug them in the right way and don't have a problem.

Now, if you get a buzz no matter which way you plug the thing in, then you've probably got a short inside somewhere.
Time to tear it down for a thorough exam.

Now #2, Switches are always wired in the hot side of the circuit. So if you take your older machine apart and disassemble the light, you can actually trace the hot side throughout the system and see how it's polarized.
I have rewired several machines doing this and found it to be true.

The cord block sets as used by the Japanese and other machines is also polarized even though the early ones do not have any markings or a wide slot in the motor / light outlets.

OK, I'm getting dizzy, I'll step off the ladder for now.

More than likely the wiring for your 60s machine is good. But check it out to be sure.

Joe
Old 03-12-2015, 06:32 AM

Interesting. I think I've heard that buzzing before, not from anything I currently own, but from things from a long time ago. Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:23 AM

If you've "heard a buzzing" there's a dangerous problem brewing. The buzz I am talking about is felt, when you touch your machine.

Joe
Old 03-12-2015, 12:06 PM

Mitty,

You'll want to read this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...w-t259622.html

Archaic Arcane also posted links to a lot of useful information.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:48 AM

J Miller, thanks for your reasoned and well stated explanation.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the link, I didn't think to search on 'wiring' for some reason.

Joe, Okay, I see, the buzzing is a feel, not a sound. The audible buzzing I was talking about was from decades ago. When I was a kid I think one of our lamps buzzed or maybe it was our cabinet stereo. It's funny what triggers memories - that's not something I would have thought of if you hadn't mentioned buzzing.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:17 AM

Mitty,

The buzz you heard could have been an electrical hum. Stereos, some light fixtures, and even neon light fixtures have starters that will hum. We've even got some of the new twisty neon bulbs that will hum till they get warmed up.

Joe