Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Electrifying a #21 Drawing Room Cabinet? >

Electrifying a #21 Drawing Room Cabinet?

Electrifying a #21 Drawing Room Cabinet?

Old 04-09-2023, 04:18 AM

Default Electrifying a #21 Drawing Room Cabinet?

OK, another question, please.

I have a chance at a #21 Drawing Room Cabinet that looks gorgeous. Current occupant is a well used 127-3, which I'd like to replace with my 201-2 or a 15-91. I can't think of any reason either one wouldn't drop right in, but I'd like to be sure. It's a long drive and more money than I've spent to date for an old sewing machine.

I ask because I once set a 15-91 in a small table/cabinet only to fine the potted motor wouldn't clear the top when I rolled the machine down. This cabinet, the machine drops straight down and pops up like a jack in the box...

I have a few regular external motor machines I could use but the 201-2 is the one I use regularly and want in that cabinet.

You know, I SWORE I wasn't bringing home any more cabinets!!

https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac..._no_21-22.html
Old 04-09-2023, 08:29 AM

I think if the price is right, I'd get it no matter what, and then figure out what will fit!
Old 04-09-2023, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I think if the price is right, I'd get it no matter what, and then figure out what will fit!
That's kind of the problem, the price is pretty high. But I want the cabinet. I really only have room for it if I can move my 201-2 into it and store the cabinet it's in.

I just made an appointment to go get it tomorrow... addiction is a terrible burden.

(what I haven't mentioned on this forum is that I just took delivery of a brand new, large industrial leather sewing machine. I have a very understanding wife, but I may be testing her patience ... )
Old 04-19-2023, 05:05 AM

Let me answer my own question here, for the benefit of anyone wondering who might blunder across this question.

The answer is ... sort of. Neither the 201-2 or 15-91 sit in there perfectly. The 15-91 comes closer to level. However, there is a metal drip pan that just sits in there. Removing it lets them both sit better, with the 15-91 being level and just about .030 high. The 201-1 sits higher at the back and is a bit noticeable, but still would be usable. The 15-91 really isn't noticeable unless you're looking.

A very little wood or metal removal would allow either one to nestle in there just fine. The jury is out on what my final solution will be. It could just be that I leave the 15-91 in there and use it as is. The purist in me doesn't want to modify either the machine or cabinet.

Either one clears the up and down mechanism, by the way. With or without the drip pan in. Remember, this cabinet drops the machine straight down like Maxwell Smart in a phone booth. And I love it.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:54 AM

I have a Franklin clone of a Singer 27 in a cabinet that flips the machine up via a cable when you open the lid, and I thought that was cool. A cabinet that raises/lowers the machine as an elevator??
Old 04-19-2023, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I have a Franklin clone of a Singer 27 in a cabinet that flips the machine up via a cable when you open the lid, and I thought that was cool. A cabinet that raises/lowers the machine as an elevator??
I have a couple of New Home cabinets that roll the machine up when you open the lid. Nothing locks them UP and I don't quite trust them.

Here's a short video of the #21:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H781c3OZeWY
Old 04-19-2023, 02:09 PM

I have this cabinet too and I love it too. Pretty tiger stripe oak!
Congrats!

One thing to note is make sure that if/when you lower the machine, get it all the way down and then push the arm meant to support the machine when it's up, out over the top of the lowered machine.
I learned from other owners that that spring is powerful enough to send the machine right up into the top of the table hard enough to dislocate/ rip out the hinges of the top if it gets the chance.

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 04-19-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by AlZilla View Post
I have a couple of New Home cabinets that roll the machine up when you open the lid. Nothing locks them UP and I don't quite trust them.

Here's a short video of the #21:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H781c3OZeWY
Nice video.
Mine is just like this, but it also has a wooden arm that can be swung out under the machine after it is up in place, to support the weight of the machine.

The machine that came with mine is a 1906 27-4 with mother of pearl inlay blue birds and flowers. I've never seen these decals on other machines. Did an internet search to find out what the design is called, and never found anything.

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 04-19-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:17 PM

Funny....I just went looking again for the name of the decals on my 27-4 and found it!

Not bluebirds.....pheasants.
pretty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bt_QCBUp4