Elna Supermatic question

Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Sunflowerzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 1,020
Default Elna Supermatic question

I now have my Elna up and running, what a great little machine so far. I tried last night to set up the case as pictured but ran into a snag. I was wondering if anyone else had this come up and how they solved it? When setting up the case the little metal prong that is supposed to fit tightly into the rubber/plastic piece on the opposite side will not go in. It will not close for a nice smooth top. If it was originally a semi hard rubber piece it is now hard as a rock. Was there another piece on it that is now missing? Photos added. Thanks for any help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails img_4678.jpg   img_4683.jpg   img_4684.jpg   img_4685.jpg  
Sunflowerzz is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
mlmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,383
Default

Can you get that black piece out without breaking it? If so, I would soak it in a baggie with some WD-40 to try and soften it up.

If not, I would get something round, insert it into that black piece, and gently push the edges back, and try to make the hole a little larger, then put a little vaseline on the black part and the silver part and see if you can get them to go together.
mlmack is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,801
Default

mlmack gave you some good suggestions. I'm just commenting to say I'm jealous of this machine. Should I say green with envy? LOL
quiltsRfun is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 AM
  #4  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Corpus Christi, Tx.
Posts: 16,105
Default

That little bug crawling around in your screen almost made me get the flyswatter! I can't see where it's suppose to fit from the top photo! Try what mlmack said.
tessagin is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,571
Default

I think cleaning out the hole is a good idea. I wouldn't use vaseline or any other oil on rubber as it will slowly degrade it. Anyone know if a plain teflon lube would work? Lovely machine!
Monroe is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Sunflowerzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 1,020
Default

Thanks everyone, we Dremeled out the holes and it works now. I bought the old table yesterday for $20.00. DH cleaned it, removed all of the motor and under parts and added a piece of removable wood in the hole so I can try my other machines in it too. He was happy because the old Westinghouse 1/3 hp motor just purred when he tested it before removing it. I got a table, he got a motor. We're both happy. Now I just have to try to get used to the weird knee lever!!!
Attached Thumbnails img_4774.jpg   img_4677.jpg  
Sunflowerzz is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 1,775
Default

I'm glad that you figured it out! I have that same machine. It's still a work in progress, though. The tension was way off so I took the tensioner off to see if I could figure out how to fix it but haven't tried it yet. Such an odd looking tension and very little info about it on the internet.

Also, the knee "pedal" is in 2 pieces and I can't figure out how they fit together, right where they hinge. Was yours in two pieces or is mine broken.
cabbagepatchkid is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 PM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Sunflowerzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 1,020
Default

Hey Cathy, glad to meet another greenie..LOL I will go take a pic and post it for you. I will also consult the manual for the tension. If you don't have a manual I will copy mine and send it to you.
Sunflowerzz is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Sunflowerzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 1,020
Default

Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails img_4780.jpg   img_4782.jpg   img_4776.jpg  
Sunflowerzz is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bartlett, Illinois
Posts: 92
Default

I was not as lucky on the feet for mine as they cracked and fell out. So we found rubber bumpers. Here is a link
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=53
Just in case the link doesn't work!

Figured others might have the same problem and it might help. This is what they looked like and I found them at an ACE Hardware but only one in my area, the others did not stock them. I did have to glue them on to keep them from coming out when folding up the case but they work pretty good.

Good Luck on the tension!

Lisa
mtpockets1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SueZQ from MN
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
5
10-11-2019 06:38 PM
Candace
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
29
09-04-2015 08:40 PM
jljack
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
7
07-18-2013 06:12 AM
GrannieAnnie
Links and Resources
0
07-01-2011 01:06 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.