Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
envious, dismayed, intrigued and delighted >

envious, dismayed, intrigued and delighted

envious, dismayed, intrigued and delighted

Old 04-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Default envious, dismayed, intrigued and delighted

I spent the better part of my day reading all 37 pages of post on Vintage and Antique machines. What's to say, I was blown away by the variety of machines and the knowledge imparted about them. My daughter has a small collection of vintage machines. One includes a Singer Threadle and by looking up the serial # I think it is from 1910. Don't know if the cabinet is original to the machine or not. The cabinet is in sad shape and the drawers don't match. I have my mothers Singer from 1948 and we have others scattered through the house. I just wish I was as knowledgable is the people posting replies. These post have made me into a "wanter" ( is that a word?) and will start keeping a better eye out for what might be a treasure.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:28 PM

The word you're looking for is 'collector' but in my case, it could become 'hoarder' as they take up space I could use for fabric and I actually only use a few of them.

Post a picture of your machines. Is the 1910 a 66? The entry level cabinet on that one is rather basic.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 PM

you can't save just one
Old 04-06-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
you can't save just one
I guess people who collect sewing machines are like my daughters youngest who seems to collect "baby dolls" when they go Thrift Store shopping. My daughter says you can't leave an "orphan doll" in a thrift store.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
The word you're looking for is 'collector' but in my case, it could become 'hoarder' as they take up space I could use for fabric and I actually only use a few of them.

Post a picture of your machines. Is the 1910 a 66? The entry level cabinet on that one is rather basic.
I'm not for sure about the model. I'm new at this. All I know is the dates by looking up the serial number. I'll try to post pictures.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 PM

I started "saving" one at a estate sale of a friends mother.....a Singer 319w and "fell in love"------and today I bought number 46------people tell me I "don't need" that many (only one doesn't work) Need has nothing to do with it----I enjoy sewing with them, looking at them, looking up their history, talking with others about them------sure, they take up alittle more room than salt and pepper shakers-----but not as much as elephants......
Old 04-07-2012, 04:06 AM

Uh oh, we've corrupted another one...
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 AM

Sounds like you are a "goner". I started with a Japanese 15 clone that I saw and rescued from Goodwill last year. I now have 39 vintage sewing machines.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 AM

I am so glad I am not the only one that rescues machines. There is something sad about a machine that some other woman loved.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 AM

I started out with my grandmothers featherweight and bought 4 other machines and I just purchased my first singer treadle sewing machine. Brought it home yesterday. I think I'm hooked.