Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Family Sewing Machine Surprise >

Family Sewing Machine Surprise

Family Sewing Machine Surprise

Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 PM

Default Family Sewing Machine Surprise

My nieces, ages 6 and 9, ask me to make them things sometimes and they love to brag about the things I've made them. They show interest in learning to sew, unlike my own daughter. So when their mom told me she had her grandmother's sewing machine tucked away in it's cabinet in a closet (she had never opened it to see the actual machine) I told her she should get it out and we can clean it up and get it running for the girls. She finally got it out today and sent me a picture. It's a beautiful Singer red eye treadle! I was so excited. I told her we might want to convert it temporarily into a hand crank until the girls are older. I have no idea about the condition of it but it doesn't appear to be too bad. Here she is:
Old 02-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Sarabela,

That is a late teens to early 20s Singer 66-1. It still has the original presser foot bar that uses the back clamp feet.
Other than that it's a great machine, very much like one of mine.

Have your sister or SIL check in the drawers for the attachments. They can be had, but are not as common as the normal side clamp feet.

Clean it, oil it, and put a new belt on it and it'll sew like new. I love those Singer 66 treadles.

Oh, and this is just my opinion, but I think with the proper feet risers on the treadle pedal, the 6 and 9 year old are old enough to learn to sew. My wife learned at 7 years old and was making her own clothes by 8 or 9.

Love that machine

Joe
Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sarabela,

That is a late teens to early 20s Singer 66-1. It still has the original presser foot bar that uses the back clamp feet.
Other than that it's a great machine, very much like one of mine.

Have your sister or SIL check in the drawers for the attachments. They can be had, but are not as common as the normal side clamp feet.

Clean it, oil it, and put a new belt on it and it'll sew like new. I love those Singer 66 treadles.

Oh, and this is just my opinion, but I think with the proper feet risers on the treadle pedal, the 6 and 9 year old are old enough to learn to sew. My wife learned at 7 years old and was making her own clothes by 8 or 9.

Love that machine

Joe
Thanks for the info! I had her send me the serial number and according to ISMACS is 1910 and model 27? Could that be correct?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:26 PM

You must have misread the serial number. It's definitely not a 27 but is a 66. They're great machines.
Rodney
Old 02-16-2015, 02:44 PM

Sometimes the alpha numeric numbering system is confusing. Post the number here and we can all enjoy it.

Joe
Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM

She told me it was G7377226. If we change the 3 to an 8 then it becomes a 66. She sent me a picture of the serial number and it does look like an 8 to me So I think it's G7877226
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM

Yep, if it's G7877226 that makes it a 66-1. 1 of 50,000 allotted 2-25-1920.

I've got three of them near that vintage; 1913, 1919, 1924.

Joe
Old 02-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

She has a motor boss and a spoked wheel she would HC real easy IF you can find a HC to buy. If not a spinner knob would go on there until they get the hang of sewing. It would give the girls some good control when they sew if they can use their left hands to guide the fabric. The machine looks like it has been well used!!! I love it when I find one like that. It won't hurt the girls to learn to clean and oil it, too.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:58 PM

I learned to sew when I was 8 years old - it was an electric machine though. And I have always been tall for my age. Seeing your machine makes we want to go back to my aunt's in Kansas and see what the treadle Singer looks like in the cabinet. (I know it was used A LOT because my great grandmother was a professional seamstress.) Also, would give an oil bath just because I know one has used it in over 40 years. My grandmother didn't sew, and my mother used her electric 15-91 after 1950 and my aunt that has the machine never sewed. My grandmother said there was "an old man" across the street that used to borrow it from time to time to sew leather. Oh sigh! Sure wish my daughters liked to sew. You are very fortunate your nieces are interested.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:21 AM

My nephew sews. He sews costumes for theater groups around here. He also sews soft hats and movable soft hat decorations for people losing hair as a result of chemo.

Don't forget the nephews.

:-) ��