Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight 221 Parts Question >

Featherweight 221 Parts Question

Featherweight 221 Parts Question

Old 10-25-2015, 05:53 AM

Default Featherweight 221 Parts Question

My daughter just sent me a FW born in 1948. Never had one, always wanted one, don't know anything about them so here I am.

1. It needs a bobbin case. I googled and they are available for about $39 on Amazon. $90 at Nova Montgomery. What a price difference.

2. Is there a website to tell me how to clean and oil and thread machine?

Thank you so much!!!!
Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 AM

The price difference may depend on whether it's a vintage part or a reproduction. The reproductions don't always fit very well in the FWs. I bought a vintage bobbin case and hook assembly (broken gib) on eBay for $30. That's unusually low, I think, but it was listed as having a little bit of rust. That was easy enough to take care of, and it works fine. So keep your eyes out on eBay and you should be able to find one for less than $90. That seems high to me. Others can chime in, but I'd say $45-60 is probably reasonable to expect to pay.
This is a good site for oiling the machine: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...ine-using.html
And I'd try YouTube for how to thread it. Do you not have the manual? That would show you both the oiling points and the threading. You should be able to download one free from the internet -- http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ng-machine.pdf
Good luck!
Ila
Old 10-25-2015, 11:58 AM

Please download a manual for your machine so you can care for it properly. Try ISMACS.com or singerco.com.
You can find bobbin cases on Ebay from time to time. They haven't been made for some time by Singer. Most of the recent ones are aftermarket, China. The local SMM says he had to get a dozen to get a really good one. I know Jenny at Sew-Classic.com stopped listing them, but she has a source and can test them for you. Her prices are from $30 to $39. That is what they run on Ebay. Nova and April's are high end for people with more money than time. Read between the lines. If it were me, I would call Sew-Classic. com and explain to Jenny what you need and ask for her help getting a tested bobbin case. She can probably help you. I forgot to mention, the manuals are free to download. Don't pay for one unless you just want to. Even if you don't print it, you can get the information. I would save it to the hard drive for safe keeping though.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Jenny no longer sells the bobbin cases. Most of them are poorly made.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:48 PM

If you are on Facebook there is a wonderful page to join. Featherweight 221/222 It is managed by April Henry and her husband, Camron. There are all the files you need and expert information at your fingertips. They also sell parts/accessories.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:17 PM

Thank you everyone!!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM

I would also add that Glenn Williams in Florida is a great guy to deal with and much more reasonably priced than two of the mentioned sellers above. http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm

He's listing the original bobbin cases for $49.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 AM

I'm on this FB page too, they are wonderful and give us so many resources! I order from April 1930s all the time

Originally Posted by Veinurse View Post
If you are on Facebook there is a wonderful page to join. Featherweight 221/222 It is managed by April Henry and her husband, Camron. There are all the files you need and expert information at your fingertips. They also sell parts/accessories.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:22 PM

Could we get a link for that FB group, please.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:42 AM

I swear I put them in there...https://www.facebook.com/groups/SingerFWGroup/ and http://april1930s.com/

Originally Posted by DivaDee View Post
Could we get a link for that FB group, please.