Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
featherweight motor advice needed >

featherweight motor advice needed

featherweight motor advice needed

Old 09-10-2015, 06:02 AM

Default featherweight motor advice needed

I posted a pic last week of the featherweight I got in Detroit. After I received the foot controller/plug assembly, I plugged it in, and I thought it sounded great after I had cleaned, oiled and greased the machine.

I was showing my son how great it is, when he pointed out that my motor was smoking. I removed the motor, and now have it opened up. I know that there should be grease in the tubes (should there also be a sort of fiber plug in the end of the one that touches the pulley?) and I tried to get the brushes out, but only the spring come out.

It was really greasy, grimey and somewhat gritty inside...

advice????
Old 09-10-2015, 07:08 AM

When I pull motors apart I clean the insides of the case with denatured alcohol, then clean the commutator with it too. I do not clean the windings with alcohol as that can dissolve the lacquer on the wiring.
Then I put the armature shaft in a drill motor and while the drill is running I clean the commutator with fine sandpaper then wash it down again with alcohol. You can also use electrical parts cleaner if you can find it.

After that I clean the brushes, springs and brush tubes then inspect them. Brushes, springs and brush caps are still available for the FW and other motors so if they look like they're worn over half way replace them.

Then if needed I rewire the motors.

The little felt wic inside the grease tubes are available as is the brushes and springs from Sew-Classic and other places.

The motors are not complicated so generally they're easy to clean and service.

Joe
Old 09-11-2015, 08:41 AM

Soooo.... I have it pretty well cleaned up, and need input on the brushes. They are about 3/8" long. Are they still good? And how do I get the springs to fit onto them?
Old 09-11-2015, 03:14 PM

I've never measured a set of FW motor brushes. ATt 3/8" I think I'd buy a set just to be safe. The springs usually just twist onto the stub on the end of the brush. If it won't it's probably the wrong brush or spring.

Joe
Old 09-13-2015, 08:15 AM

thanks... I am going to order new ones. In the meantime, I put it back together, and I think I must have put the wires on the 3 prong thing wrong, because the light does not turn on, and nothing happens...
Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 AM

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/singer_featherweight_sewing_machine.html

ahaaaaa... I think I found my error... I put 2 wires on the #2 connector. Now to tear it apart again and fix it... learn a little more each day
Old 09-18-2015, 11:38 AM

We all make mistakes -- that's a fact we just have to live with. None of us are perfect -- I certainly don't make any claim to that exalted state! LOL! AND, we all learn something new every day!

You'll lick it yet, for sure! LOL

Jeanette