Found Another Singer 301

Old 08-04-2015, 05:30 AM

Default Found Another Singer 301

Last week I was at an estate sale where a lot of attention was given to an 830 Bernina. They also had a Singer 301a that had obviously come out of the garage. The case is very dirty. The pricetag was on the backside of the machine, and it was in the case upside down! I checked to make sure that the hand wheel turned and that the bobbin case was present, and then I grabbed it.

I haven't had time to clean, oil, and check it out, but it looks ok. The machine itself is not as dirty as the case. It comes with no attachments, but has 2 bobbins. I hope the tape marking seam allowances comes off with no problem.

This is my first two-toned 301, and I am excited to have it!
Attached Thumbnails singer301a.jpg  
Old 08-04-2015, 05:42 AM

Nice find! I got a two-tone one like this for $15 and got a mocha 301 for $10, now hoping to find the black sheep of the family, the blk 301 with short or long bed! Good eye, mine runs great, love them!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:14 AM

Beautiful! The tape looks like painters tape so will likely come off without a problem. It looks clean from here!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Tape shouldn't be a problem. Alcohol or goo be gone should remove adhesive quickly.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:42 AM

Yes, it is much cleaner than you would expect when you consider the condition of the case.

I, too, love sewing on my 301. The line of vision with the slant needle suits me fine.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM

Good morning....I recently purchased the same machine. Mine is in decent shape and works great. The case is pretty smelly though. There was tape on mine too and I got it off with goo gone, took a few tries, but it all came off. congrats on your new singer!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:52 AM

Those and the black ones are my favorites. Congrats on your new 301. Not much to add about the tape.
Rodney
Old 08-04-2015, 07:54 AM

Don't use alcohol to remove tape residue. You'll also remove the clear coat.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:14 AM

I've gotten the smell out of the machines and cases by stuffing the case with newspaper, then putting the machine back in it. Sometimes you have to change out the newspaper a couple of times. Setting the case out in the sun works, too. Nice looking machine! I'd like to get a 301, but I'm holding out for a black long-bed. There is a store in Spokane that restores older machines - can't remember the name right off - but I've seen lots of nice machines in their online site. May have to run up there one day! Nice to get them at a yard sale, though!!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 PM

What Candace said. I use lighter fluid. It won't hurt it, as it is a very light oil, like Kerosene, which smell I can't stand. I have used sesame oil also. Yes, the skin remedy from WalMart. Neutogena is the brand. I happened to use it to remove oil damp oil paint from my hands and it worked well. It is also a light oil also. It won't hurt your hands like solvents do. Oil is a solvent for adhesives. Price tags will come right off hard surfaces. Oil will stain soft surfaces though, so be careful where you put it.