Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found a cool bag for my Featherweight! >

Found a cool bag for my Featherweight!

Found a cool bag for my Featherweight!

Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Default Found a cool bag for my Featherweight!

I have a Featherweight that I don't keep in her original black box because it's way too stinky. I'm always looking at different bags and suitcases to see if I can find something appropriate. Today I was at Home Depot and happened to walk by this one, which was marked down to only $12.97. There's plenty of room for the machine and the foot pedal inside. I think I will also be able to fit a small box to hold her bobbins and attachments (although I haven't tried that yet). I think it's pretty cool!

I keep this machine downstairs to use in front of the TV instead of upstairs in my sewing room, and this will enable me to keep her clean, safe and dust-free.
Attached Thumbnails fw-bab.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

​What a handy dandy case for your Featherweight!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 PM

Very clever of you to find that useful bag at Home Depot. Every time we go to HD I always look around to see if there is something I can use in my sewing room. My sewing box broke this early spring & I bought a Homer Box that works wonderful for my sewing supplies. It's big enough to hold all my supplies + more. I just refused to pay $30+ for a new sewing basket plus it's bright orange & I can see it right away in my room.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home...1512/202021300
Old 11-09-2017, 04:23 AM

Look at the small Glad or other brand food containers for your accessories and bobbins. They come in various sizes and shapes. They are by the ziplocks at the grocery store.

bkay
Old 11-09-2017, 05:17 AM

The nylon webbing on it looks secure enough too hold up during use, very handy. When I read your post I couldn't help thinking of the old stinky box. Don't give up on airing it out, keep the lid open, use baking soda, char coal. Keep it in a dry heated room, let direct sunlight reach the innside for an hour or so on a sunny day. I had a very (!) musty box for a zigzagger, it took two years with the lid off before it was gone. The worst aired off within a few weeks, but the rest took time.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:05 AM

Mickey, I've been working on that stinky box for THREE years LOL. It resides in my basement because I can't have it in the house, the odor of it makes me sick! I've tried every product, every method, even bought that stuff from The Featherweight Shop that's supposed to deodorize it... nothing worked. But thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll drag it out in the sun again next summer.

osewme, I love the color of that box, I'm definitely going back to look for one of those.

bkay, that's a great idea. I think I still have some little containers I bought in bulk at the Dollar Tree; those would definitely fit!
Old 11-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the picture of your "find" at H. Depot. I have been looking for something to take "stuff" to guild in. Looks like a good find.
One of the girls found a picnic basket at W Mart, but I never can find one of those.
Thanks again!
M.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:31 PM

Mariah, there's actually a smaller version of this same bag that is a 12" (as opposed to this 15") and it was wicked cute! I may have to go back and get that one too. It was only $9.97.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

That's a great idea!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 AM

I have a plastic box that mine fits perfectly in. My case was so stinky when I got it. I put a box of baking soda in it and forgot it in the barn for about 3-4 years. It is back in my basement and does not smell bad...but I think if I started to close it up the smell would come back. So if I sell, have a case other then that the plastic works fine. I keep all my machines in the basement sewing area. It is very dry down there so no worries about rust or moldy air.